Windows 7 Old software compatibility issue and ntvdm.exe missing

Isaacs

I am having problems installing a copy of Signlab ES2 on a new Sony laptop I have recently bought with Windows 7 x64. At the end of the installation I get the error message “The program can’t start because ntvdm.exe is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem” . After the computer has restarted Signlab opens normally and the HASP dongle is recognised by the computer. As soon as I start using Signlab it kicks me out with the error message “ERROR LOCATING SECURITY DEVICE: 1” – it seems that Signlab cannot find the HASP dongle.
I have reinstalled the program many times and updated the driver for the HASP dongle. I have run all the updates from Window and Sony Vaio – and still the same errors. I have tried running the program in several compatibility modes - Window XP (SP2), Windows XP (SP3), Windows 2000 and Windows 98 – and still the same problem. I tried ringing Cadlink, but they could only suggest I buy a Signlab upgrade or downgrade my new laptop to windows XP as they say it is a compatibility issue. There are issues with upgrading Signlab, as the newer versions are not suitable for my business, and I really don’t want to be downgrading a 3 day old laptop to window XP.
My knowledge is limited, so I am unsure as to whether the ntvdm.exe file is causing Signlab not to recognise the security dongle. I would appreciate any help I can get to fix this problem.
Many Thanks

Hello and Welcome,

if the software was designed for earlier windows versions and compatibility mode doesn't help, you can try running it inside a virtual machine such as Windows XP Mode, Virtual Box, VMPlayer.

Isaacs,
Some customers had trouble on 64 bit Windows 7 with dongles because of a filter that AMD added. This software is supposed to improve the quality of audio files, but it has the nasty side effect of disabling dongle drivers. Here is a link to a page on the SmartDongle web site that tells how to remove the filter: Remove AMD USB Filter Driver from ATI Catalyst Install Manager | SmartDongle Many users have found this helpful.

Joel

Back
Top Bottom