Windows 7 ON - Off Security

acme

Honorable Member
I get a red flag from the little ACTION CENTER icon at bottom once a week saying that my anti-virus, firewall, anti spyware is off. But my Norton 360 isn't off, just the ACTION CENTER on the Control Center SECURITY SETTINGS shows OFF.
I have to turn my 360 off and on to reset it. Never happened before. Anybody have this problem?

Windows 7 64bit

:confused:

Hi acme, seems to be a fairly common issue. Sometimes, unregistering and re-registering WMIUTILS.DLL file will fix this issue.
Try this:
1. Click the Start button, and then click All Programs > Accessories > Run.
2. In the Run dialog box, type the following text:
regsvr32 /u WMIUTILS.DLL
3. Click OK.
4. Restart the computer.
5. Click the Start button, and then click All Programs > Accessories > Run.
6. In the Run dialog box, type the following text:
regsvr32 WMIUTILS.DLL
7. Click OK.
8. Restart the computer.

Did it work?

Hi acme, seems to be a fairly common issue. Sometimes, unregistering and re-registering WMIUTILS.DLL file will fix this issue.
Try this:
1. Click the Start button, and then click All Programs > Accessories > Run.
2. In the Run dialog box, type the following text:
regsvr32 /u WMIUTILS.DLL
3. Click OK.
4. Restart the computer.
5. Click the Start button, and then click All Programs > Accessories > Run.
6. In the Run dialog box, type the following text:
regsvr32 WMIUTILS.DLL
7. Click OK.
8. Restart the computer.

Did it work?

Thanks,

So far ok, it takes a few days to act up again :rolleyes:

:)

According to a short survey, Norton 360 would appear to be a 30 day trial version. After that, it expires. Probably it will leave traces in your computer which means, you can't re-install it even after a thorough uninstall.

One of the reasons I decided to BUY a security pack (I went for Avast). 30 or 40 euros per year isn't that much for certainty, is it?

Last edited:
According to a short survey, Norton 360 would appear to be a 30 day trial version. After that, it expires. Probably it will leave traces in your computer which means, you can't re-install it even after a thorough uninstall.

One of the reasons I decided to BUY a security pack (I went for Avast). 30 or 40 euros per year isn't that much for certainty, is it?

I've been using Norton since 2002 , always renewed, never had a 30 day trial problem. My Norton 360 isn't turning off, it's the WINDOWS CONTROL PANEL - ACTION CENTER - SECURITY on/off switch that goes to OFF . Switching this OFF isn't making Norton go off, just keeps my PC from using Norton :eek: Hope this makes since..............+o(

You can see what is happening to mine by turning off your security from the CONTROL PANEL then look to see that your security suite is still on.

:)

Hi acme, sorry for the delay!
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Norton? Have you used the Remove and Reinstall tool? If not, give it a go and let us know if there are any changes...
You can download the tool from Link Removed - Invalid URL[dot]symantec[dot]com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?lg=english&ct=united+states&docid=20110217171332EN&product=home&version=1&pvid=f-home

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Norton? Have you used the Remove and Reinstall tool? If not, give it a go and let us know if there are any changes...
You can download the tool from Link Removed - Invalid URL[dot]symantec[dot]com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?lg=english&ct=united+states&docid=20110217171332EN&product=home&version=1&pvid=f-home

It did the same before Norton 360 was installed. Did a re-install also. My Norton security isn't the problem, it's staying on, the CONTROL PANEL > ACTION CENTER > SECURITY 'on-off' setting will click to off causing an unprotected PC. My Norton stays on, but the CONTROL PANEL SECURITY status is OFF.........not the Norton 360 :frown:

:eek:

Hi acme, yes, I understand Norton is working and the problem is simply the action panel reporting otherwise, however I believe that whatever driver Norton installed to allow windows to "talk" to it was corrupted or deleted.
Reinstalling Norton might, in my opinion, fix that. Or at least give us some more information about where the problem lies.

I ran Spybot Search and Destroy and it picked up 2 Trojans and running ok now :confused:
I guess the 'Oldie but Goodie' Spybot S & D still works........

:thumbs_up:

Back