Windows 7 Once again, unidentified network issue

bigbates

ive spent the best part of 2 days looking a solution to this, nothing is working, ive tried(among a host of other things):

Reseting router/modem
updating the network adapter drivers
unistalling the network adapter so it installs on defualt drivers
ive checked the modem and cable ect, it works fine.

this is a complete fresh install there is litreally NOTHING on this atm, so it cant be that bonjour service. please help im about to go back to vista :(

Last edited:
Problem with Sprint USB Modem, Linksys router and Unidentified network

The Windows 7 desktop that has a USB adapter for Sprint Mobile Broadband internet and it also has a built-in
ethernet LAN port. I connect to the internet on the Vista desktop through
the Sprint USB connection and then share that internet connection through
the LAN port to the laptop.

Can not change from "Public" to provate does not let me which renders Internet Connection
Sharing useless
It lists this network in the Network and Sharing Wizard as an "Unidentified Network".

This was working than one day it just stopped letting my laptop on. I have reset modem multiple time, I upgrade from vista home to windows 7. This started happening with vista.

I have read through so many post and have tried everything from shutting off PC at power, editing registry, release and renew IP, flushing DNS, ect

Please can someone help me?

If you don't use public networks try this. in control panel select Administrative tools and run Local Security Policy as an administrator. Select network list manager right click on unidentified networks and select properties and change to private network. I had to do that with VM workstation.
Joe

Thanks for answering. I have done that and it shows private there, but if you look at the adapter that shows unidentified network it shows public. weird huh

There are numerous causes of this problem, and therefore numerous potential solutions. I spent Friday night, all day Saturday, and half the day Sunday trying to solve the problem on my computer before figuring it out. In the process, I took about 5 pages of handwritten notes from various websites, including this forum. I burned drivers to a CD. And I called both Verizon and Microsoft tech support.

The solution for me was hardware. I have a motherboard with the NForce 4 chipset. Specifically, the Asus P5NSLI. Apparently the motherboard itself cannot handle 4+ gigs of memory plus peripherals. As a result, when I upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit, I lost internet connectivity. I got the "Unidentified Network" issue, and the IP Configuration error.

To test the solution, I simply removed 2 gigs of memory from my computer, bringing my total down to 2 gigs. Everything worked fine then. Internet was perfect.

Chopping my memory down to 2 gigs is an unacceptable permanent solution, so what I did then was installed Windows 7 32-bit. That has an OS 4-gig memory cap, like Windows XP 32-bit. So now I have 4 gigs of memory back in my computer, it only recognizes 3 gigs, and my internet is fine.

It's still a bummer of a situation. I have a total of 6 gigs of memory for my computer. I only had 4 gigs installed with XP, and my plan was to install the other 2 gigs with Windows 7 64-bit, to get a total of 6. Instead I'm stuck with 3 gigs, and with no possibility of ever adding to that with my current motherboard.

But the problem's solved, and I am left with a gaming rig with a GTX260 graphics card, a Core2Duo E6600, and 3 gigs of ram. It'll last me for another year and a half or so, and at that point I'll buy/design/build a whole new computer. Such is the way with technology. I really can't blame Microsoft on this one because, in my case at the very least, the problem was hardware, not Windows 7.

I hope this is helpful to you in solving your problem.

Sorry that didn't help, I know how you must feel right now.

When troubleshooting, I tried all the things that you listed in your first post. I also went into the settings to set the network adapter so that power management could not turn it off, and I set my computer to never sleep. That solved the problem for some people (not for me though).

Other than that, I'd just say to contact Microsoft tech support. They're actually pretty decent. They weren't the ones to solve the problem, but they did everything they could to try, including several things that I didn't read online. The hold times were short--usually only 2-3 minutes. They DID need me to activate Windows by phone before I could talk to them, so be prepared for that. But once past that hurdle, I give them good marks for customer service, decent marks for technical knowledge, and I'd say it's a last resort to consider before going back to a prior OS.

Good luck to you.

What are you running for anti virus and firewall? Some of those can occasionally cause problems too. I had a problem with Comodo and newly installed VMware program. Windows firewall has a nasty habit of turning itself back on!
Joe

Back
Top Bottom