Windows 7 One complaint about Windows in general.

Shade Vortex

Surprisingly not about security. See, after spending time trying to personalize things since I am used to doing so on Linux, I discovered a huge flaw in how Windows does personalization. It's completely limited. Sure, people unfamiliar with computers take Linux as too confusing because you can set up everything exactly the way you want to before you can do anything else, but windows is like the opposite. You can set up everything, but not be able to set it up the way you want it. For example, I made a High Contrast theme that looks like the interface to a program, and let's say this is an example. In Linux, this theme would carry over to all programs and thus have not text color problems or anything. On windows, it is effectively impossible to edit individual programs' themes, and the theme you use does not carry over to ALL programs- only specific ones, like Paint. This is kind of a issue with the programmers of software rather than a fault of windows itself, but there are way too many UI inconsistencies in Windows. Also, of course, it is completely impossible to replace the taskbar with a new one without extensive knowledge. Themes in linux can just about change anything, and that kind of personalization is much desired by people like me. Only being able to choose colors is too limiting.

Hello and Welcome to Windows7forums.. ;)

An interesting way to look at it for sure.. :) It's nice to see a complaint not about security once and a while.. ;)

Personalization????

Surprisingly not about security. See, after spending time trying to personalize things since I am used to doing so on Linux, I discovered a huge flaw in how Windows does personalization. It's completely limited. Sure, people unfamiliar with computers take Linux as too confusing because you can set up everything exactly the way you want to before you can do anything else, but windows is like the opposite. You can set up everything, but not be able to set it up the way you want it. For example, I made a High Contrast theme that looks like the interface to a program, and let's say this is an example. In Linux, this theme would carry over to all programs and thus have not text color problems or anything. On windows, it is effectively impossible to edit individual programs' themes, and the theme you use does not carry over to ALL programs- only specific ones, like Paint. This is kind of a issue with the programmers of software rather than a fault of windows itself, but there are way too many UI inconsistencies in Windows. Also, of course, it is completely impossible to replace the taskbar with a new one without extensive knowledge. Themes in linux can just about change anything, and that kind of personalization is much desired by people like me. Only being able to choose colors is too limiting.

I realize that my response here is not directly related to Windows 7, but it does relate to the referenced post whis is related to 7. I am not meaning to stir any flame war, but just pointing out some reasons that more people use Windows than use Linux versions.

I am arthritic and have considerable difficulty maneuvering a mouse. I overcome that difficulty with a trackball and third party software that programs my center button (scroll wheel) to perform a double click. I have never found anyone who could show me how to program my center mouse button (or a single stroke keyboard shortcut) to perform a double click in ANY Linux version.

I frequently stumble across an interesting site on the web and wish to return to it at a more convenient time. I simply right click the web page and select "create shortcut" from the drop down menu and I have a desktop shortcut to that webpage that takes me back at another time without any hassles. I have never found anyone who can show me any quick convenient way to perforn this operation in any Linux version.

I could continue with several more such items but you get the point. When someone tells me how "customizable" Linux is, I just present them with about 6 of these conditions of Windows customization that is not possible in Linux. They usually just go home pouting.

Highwayman: It's not the only fault, and windows does not "win" at anything other than being commercially supported, which Linux isn't even trying to do. It's not trying to be sold or be more popular at all (The distributions of Linux which are not free ARE NOT PROOF that they are trying to sell it, those are done by companies that had nothing to do with Linux's creator, Linus Benedict Torvalds- just as anyone who tries to give away Windows for free has nothing to do with Bill Gates, typically.. The ext4 filesystem is much faster and searches in a much better way. Linux has tons more drivers which are community made, and not proprietary.

john: You must not know much about Linux then. Linux allows you to use many browsers. For example, in firefox, you can easily bookmark sites to go back to them. It's not much harder to do in Chromium (the google chrome version for linux).

Shortcuts are as easy to use as bookmarks, just bookmarks are only accessible in the browser itself.

Also, if you want to get rid of the double clicking, most actions only take a single click in a KDE environment, such as opening up folders, images, and such.

I am not trolling, nor am I lying. Denying my claims would be the same as showing ignorance, as I've done -all- these things, so I am not a source lacking first-hand experience. If you can't figure out linux, don't even try- it's NOT meant to be as simple as Windows.

I can see this turning into a Windows VS Linux bashing, but I have used both Windows and Linux, and I much prefer Windows.
Linux is, quite plain and simply, a pain in the a$$ to use.
Installing drivers is way way way too complicated and takes way too long. Same with installing software.
Even when it comes to reliability, I've had less problems with windows then I had with Linux.
I still have my laptop on Suse and windows xp dualboot, and find myself only using Windows as its less troublesome.
Linux still has a long way to go. A long long way.

Every once in a while I try new versions of Linux and as soon as I have to type these long commands that i'll never ever remember again and will always have to look up just to install a new version of java to work correctly with firefox, that's where I lose interest.
Windows makes it so easy with files that automatically execute upon double clicking, etc.

My 2 cents.

I am not saying Windows is bad. Everything has flaws. I'm not bashing either and neither should you. Operating systems all do the same basic thing, in different ways.

Now, I will defend against things that are simply not true and are only true in perspective of "what you are most used to". Linux is mainly for geeks, people who can and will remember many commands that are required to get things installed. But, Linux lets you install things typically without ever downloading the program from your browser, and install it at the same time, using the terminal.

Problems are generated from lack of knowledge and not being able to implement the solutions from the knowledge accurately. For example, as you say, linux tends to have long commands. You must be used to long commands.

Realize that back when Windows was still MS-DOS, people were forced to remember many commands. People are simply lazier when it comes to technology and more impatient these days and want things instantly. But if done right, you can achieve a much more precise result that is better suited to your needs with Linux, at least server wise.

Linux is not a gaming os nor is it for everyone, and it's definitely not for people who want things done fast and easily. This doesn't make it bad, it just means it's not for the people who aren't used to that stuff.

Windows is fine for most people because it lets them do things quickly, but at the same time, it strips away control from the user, especially in windows 7. For example, you need permission to do many things, especially with UAC enabled (I know it can be disabled). With Linux, if you use sudo (super user do), then you have the privileges of root, and that lets you do about anything you want, if you know how to.

Well... I look at it this way. Isn't Linux an open source OS? If it's open source, you should be able to customize it anyway you see fit. Windows is not open source and if you want to customize it the way you want, well, you'll be limited to what is supplied with the OS (i.e. themes) or you'll have to install 3rd party software like Stardock.com - Your Edge In Software

Feel free to complain and I understand where you're coming from, but it's an apple to orange comparison when comparing Linux with Windows.

apple to orange comparison when comparing Linux with Windows.

That is very true.

Linux may do certain things, to a better extent, but getting there (for a lot of people) is a very major challenge that just is not worth the effort. This is how Windows has "really" become a better OS for the masses over all.

Because of that,,, Linux will never ever become a main stream OS.
And the Li-Naxi's (Lin Nazi) grumble on. (Thankfully though, not in this thread)

Back