Windows 7 One or more activex controls could not be displayed because either

IT Fachbereich

Hi.
I don't know if this is the right forum for my problem.
Anyway,
I have a problem with my Windows Services.
Each time when I launch Windows Services window, I get a warning:

One or more activex controls could not be displayed because either:
1. your current security settings prohibit running activex
controls on this page, or
2. you have blocked a publisher of one of the controls.
as a result, the page may not display correctly.

The warning pop-up opens only when I click on Extended tab.
The problem has nothing to do with IE security, because I can open pages with ActiveX controls on them and so.

I have installed Spybot spyware/malware removal tool. Then uninstalled it.
I'm not sure if this is the cause of the problem. But I presume it is.

So, may be someone was facing the same problem and knows the cause for it.
Thanks.

Hi and welcome.

Nah, it's not because of Spybot.

Type msinfo32 in the start menu then press enter. File | save on the opened screen. Zip the saved file and then attach to a post. I'll have a look at what's going on.

In the meantime, it is very unlikely to fix things but should be done anyhow: Open an elevated command prompt. Type the following command then press enter -

sfc /scannow

And also scan the machine with Malwarebytes after updating definitions.

I'd also try SuperAntiSpyware, I'm a big fan.
I've found it to sometimes find things that my Malwarebytes and Spybot does not

Windows Services/ Security Center not working correctly

I have the same problem as the first guy. But on top of that, I am unable to open Windows Security Center Service, Windows Defender, or Microsoft Antimalware Service. I have tried to change their Start-up Types to Automatic many times and starting them many times. Everytime, they start running for about 3 seconds and then fail.

I ran Malwarebytes and deleted the few things it brought to my attention, but I still have the same problems. It's driving me crazy. I've attached my System Information in case someone is able to take a look and possibly help me out.

Thanks

Attachments

• helpmycompms.nfo
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,476
Re: Windows Services/ Security Center not working correctly

I have the same problem as the first guy. But on top of that, I am unable to open Windows Security Center Service, Windows Defender, or Microsoft Antimalware Service. I have tried to change their Start-up Types to Automatic many times and starting them many times. Everytime, they start running for about 3 seconds and then fail.

I ran Malwarebytes and deleted the few things it brought to my attention, but I still have the same problems. It's driving me crazy. I've attached my System Information in case someone is able to take a look and possibly help me out.

Thanks

1) Uninstall WD SmartWare.

2) Uninstall ViewPoint Manager.

3) Uninstall all Ulead software.

4) Uninstall the Bonjour service. Google for how to do so, using the command prompt.

5) You have the oldest Realtek HD Audio driver I've ever seen. Run this twice with a reboot in between, to update it:

RtkHDAudio

6) Update your old Marvell Yukon network driver. Enter 88E8039 at this link for the latest driver:

Marvell: Support

7) Your Intel wireless driver is very old. Update it here by downloading the .exe and running it:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

8) Uninstall VirtualCloneDrive. Install PowerISO to replace it. PowerISO - Create, Edit, Compress, Encrypt, Split, Mount, Extract ISO file, ISO/BIN converter, Virtual Drive

8) You have too much junk starting with Windows. Type msconfig in the start menu then press enter. Go to startup tab. Check the box to disable all. Then check the box to allow only Malwarebytes. Save and reboot.

I'm having the same issue as the first poster. It started about an hour ago. I was in Services everything was working fine, I finished what I was doing and closed it out. Launched it again and am now getting the same activex warning he is, also only on the Extended tab. I am also having the same issue occurring with gpedit.msc as well, also only on the Extended tab. It happens in safe mode as well.

In both cases they were working fine, no software was installed in between the period when it worked and stopped working, computer was on the whole time. I walked away for literally 5 minutes. I've found several other people with the same issue starting over the last few days, but no solution.

I'm having the same issue as the first poster. It started about an hour ago. I was in Services everything was working fine, I finished what I was doing and closed it out. Launched it again and am now getting the same activex warning he is, also only on the Extended tab. I am also having the same issue occurring with gpedit.msc as well, also only on the Extended tab. It happens in safe mode as well.

In both cases they were working fine, no software was installed in between the period when it worked and stopped working, computer was on the whole time. I walked away for literally 5 minutes. I've found several other people with the same issue starting over the last few days, but no solution.

Open an elevated command prompt and run this command: sfc /scannow

Then also scan the machine with Malwarebytes after updating the definitions.

Open an elevated command prompt and run this command: sfc /scannow

Then also scan the machine with Malwarebytes after updating the definitions.

One of the first things I tried. Sfc reported nothing in need of repair and Malwarebytes came up clean as well.

Here is the solution given to me by Microsoft, it worked perfectly.

You should delete 1 extra (parasite) zone from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\
with pseudo-graphic number, you'll see it before zone number 0.
It seems this is a bug of Adobe flash player update, though I am not sure.
The pseudo-graphic number they speak of before zone number 0 looks like a miniature upper case "L".

Delete that registry entry and all is well.

Hi,

This did not work for me, because I do not have any "parasite zones" with a pseudo-graphic "L" name.

Can anyone help a newbie out?

Here is the solution given to me by Microsoft, it worked perfectly.

The pseudo-graphic number they speak of before zone number 0 looks like a miniature upper case "L".

Delete that registry entry and all is well.

Hi,

I registered on this forum just to thank you! This worked perfectly for me, too.

Thanks for sharing!

G

I just wanted to say that I was also registering here only to confirm this has worked multiple times. I work for a university help desk and we have noticed issue with our network access client launching. After trying to check services and getting this error message we tracked down this information and just deleting the registry key noted about worked.

Now, each time this has occurred has been paired with malware that our users' computers were infected with so cleaning of that had to be done as well, but this helped us actually get somewhere.

Thanks!

Hay I'm having exactly the same problem that u mentioned. My gadgets are not working and I can't see my processess from admin tools in control panel. It showed as like in the screenshot. I thought it may be due to my antivirus. I used bitdefender total security 2010. When i opened it, it displayed

I uninstalled it, still i getting the same problem. I tried for scanning the system, it showed no spywares, no malwares, even the sfc scan showed no errors. any body can help..????

Attachments

• Active X.png
    Active X.png
    255.2 KB · Views: 2,115
Last edited:
Hay I'm having exactly the same problem that u mentioned. My gadgets are not working and I can't see my processess from admin tools in control panel. It showed as like in the screenshot. I thought it may be due to my antivirus. I used bitdefender total security 2010. When i opened it, it displayed

I uninstalled it, still i getting the same problem. I tried for scanning the system, it showed no spywares, no malwares, even the sfc scan showed no errors. any body can help..????

This is the exact thing I was seeing as well. The way to make it go away is to delete the registry key noted in this thread.

You should delete 1 extra (parasite) zone from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\
with pseudo-graphic number, you'll see it before zone number 0.

Please note however, that I have found the "parasite" zone under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE as well. When that happened, it was not under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER tree.

The zone to delete should look like an uppercase 'L' which is slightly odd looking (It is a little offset from where a normal character should be). Here is a screenshot with the zone selected:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
I was having the activex issue with my hp psc 1317 - it would print and copy documents ok but when I tried to scan anything it advised that security settings prohibited activex and would not even attempt a scan.

I found the proposed solution on this forum and have duly deleted the parasite file in Regedit under Hotkey Current User etc.

My all-in-one now appears to scan correctly but when it finishes and I press 'Done' when it asks if I am finished scanning or want to scan another item, I am getting the following error message:

Font 'Arial' doesn't support Style 'Regular'

Normally when I press 'Done' this would open the HP Image Zone Plus program but now after getting the error message above, the only option open to me is to click on an 'OK' button and the program does not run.

Can anyone help?

Back