Windows 7 "Open with" issue in Windows Explorer

professor1554

I usually open my files for Word and Excel from Windows Explorer or by clicking on the file in the Recent Activity screen within the software itself. My Excel files won't open from within Windows Explorer now because I have three links to Microsoft Excel in the Open with dialogue box, one for Excel 2013 and two for Excel 2010. The system is confused and I am unable to select a default program because of the two Excel 2010's. How do I reset (or go back to Factory Defaults) Windows so the system is clean?

Might be best to decide which Excel you want to use - I would be inclined to recommend the latest = Excel 2013. It is most probably capable to deal with older files too.

Some handy work, start the Excel 2013, and open files there, then save them in preferably a new place. Check that they open and function - if they do, get rid of those Excel 2010s, not necessary, though.

Try right-clicking on the file and choose a default program for it (specify if you want Excel 2010 or 2013).

defaultprog2.jpg

Last edited:
Might be best to decide which Excel you want to use - I would be inclined to recommend the latest = Excel 2013. It is most probably capable to deal with older files too.

Some handy work, start the Excel 2013, and open files there, then save them in preferably a new place. Check that they open and function - if they do, get rid of those Excel 2010s, not necessary, though.
Thank you for the suggestion. However I like having both Excel 2010 and 2013 available. I like the user interface of 2010 better than 2013 and 2010 opens up faster. 2013 must be doing a lot more housekeeping because it takes more time to open. I have 2013 because it is part of office and I wanted to have Access available to me.

Back