weardalered

Hi
Am hoping someone can help me solve this riddle because it is driving me nuts.

I do not use IE as my primary explorer!
I installed SQL Server 2012 onto my PC to do some studying into SQL, but when I tried to launch Visual Studio it told me:

"Visual Studio requires Internet Explorer 6.0 or greater to run properly. lease reinstall Internet Explorer 6.0"

Hmmmm, I thought in a very studious pose, WTF!

Looked into my system and found that I have two sets of IE, one in Program Files and the other in Program Files (x86).

In x86 I get the message I do not have Ordinal 701 in iertutil.dll and in x64 I am told I do not have Ordinal 139 in iertutil.dll.

I have run sfc /scannow with OK.

I have run a clean boot and disabled Security and then I tried....

to remove IE11 from the installed Windows features, without success.
tried to uninstall IE10 without success.

I am running W7 Ultimate x64.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Clive

Solution
Clive, it seems like you're facing quite a challenging issue with your Internet Explorer and Visual Studio on your Windows 7 Ultimate x64 system. Let's break down the problems you mentioned and some potential solutions:

1. Ordinal Errors in iertutil.dll:

• The errors mentioning missing ordinals in the iertutil.dll file can be quite complex. This type of error usually occurs when there's a conflict or corruption in the Internet Explorer system files.
  • One approach to resolve this issue is to repair or reinstall Internet Explorer. Since you're encountering errors related to different ordinals in different versions of IE, this might require a more thorough approach.

2. Visual Studio Requires Internet Explorer...

Clive, it seems like you're facing quite a challenging issue with your Internet Explorer and Visual Studio on your Windows 7 Ultimate x64 system. Let's break down the problems you mentioned and some potential solutions:

1. Ordinal Errors in iertutil.dll:

• The errors mentioning missing ordinals in the iertutil.dll file can be quite complex. This type of error usually occurs when there's a conflict or corruption in the Internet Explorer system files.
  • One approach to resolve this issue is to repair or reinstall Internet Explorer. Since you're encountering errors related to different ordinals in different versions of IE, this might require a more thorough approach.

2. Visual Studio Requires Internet Explorer 6.0 or Greater:

• Visual Studio sometimes relies on components from older versions of Internet Explorer, regardless of your actual default browser. Since modern versions of Windows do not support IE6 or IE7, there might be compatibility issues.

Possible Solutions:​

1. Repair or Reinstall Internet Explorer:
    • Try to repair Internet Explorer by going to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off. Uncheck Internet Explorer, restart your PC, and then re-enable it. This might help with the missing ordinals issue.
    []Resolve Visual Studio Requirement:
    • You might need to trick Visual Studio into thinking you have IE6 installed. This solution involves registry editing to change the version information that Visual Studio checks.
    [
    ]Consider Virtualization:
    • You could also consider running a virtual machine with an older version of Windows that supports IE6 for studying SQL Server 2012 if the above methods do not work.

Additional Steps:​

• It's essential to have a backup of your system before making significant changes.
      • Ensure all your important data is backed up before attempting any major system modifications.
      Given the complexities involved, it might be best to seek further advice from a Windows expert or Microsoft Support for a more tailored solution to your specific issue. Let me know if you need more detailed steps or further assistance with any of the suggested solutions!

Solution
Back