Windows 10 Outlook accounts problem

Ron Binmore

I swapped over to Windows 10, lost Hotmail which has become Outlook and have a problem. Both my wife and I use the same computer. she has her account and I have mine. The problem is, every time she tries to access Outlook, the computer goes straight to my account and I cannot find any way of enabling her to access hers.
If we go to the Search the Web and Windows box and click on the "Mail" box, both our accounts are available and we can open them but not if we use the desktop Interne Explorer icon, open IE then try to use "Outlook".

This may not be the right Forum to be asking this question or even the right place and if I am in the wrong, please excuse me and let me know where I should be or, if you can provide some help, that will be very much appreciated.

Kind regards, RonBin79

Your account has been upgraded to the Microsoft id that the computer uses but the wife account is still just a local one?
  • upgrade the other account to sub of the microsft id and join both together... any email sent to the two accounts can be set to show in both email inbox if your do this.
or
  • upgrade the other account to a new different Microsoft id and whatever account is the active one (at computer logon) will be what gets auto-snyced when you go to some place like the store.
... or put up with it?

USSNorway, thank you for your advice. As I am not very highly computer literate, could you send me a link that will give me a blow by blow as to how you do what you have suggested please. The first version sounds the best.

HMS Cardigan Bay (RN)

Regards.

RonBin

USS Norway,
Further to my last, all we want to do is for either of us to be able use Internet Explorer, go to Outlook and open either my wife's account with her password and user name or mine, with my password and user name. We used to be able to do this when I had Windows7 and thought it would be just the same with Windows10. It's not that we have any secrets between us, except at Christmas or Birthdays when we are buying things on line and we don't want each other to know what we are buying. My wife has a Hotmail account in her own name as have I.

Wish I could get a grip of all this so I wouldn't have to keep bothering you.

Cheers,

RonBin

Hi Ron,
I'm sort of confused by what you say you are trying to do.

"all we want to do is for either of us to be able use Internet Explorer, go to Outlook and open either my wife's account with her password and user name or mine, with my password and user name."

This doesn't make sense, Outlook is either a standalone program on your PC (such as Outlook 2013 or Outlook 2010), and you can access it directly by clicking an Icon on your desktop named OUTLOOK, or from your QuickLaunch bar on the bottom of your Win10 screen. Unless you are connecting to a work or school ONLINE OUTLOOK, called MICROSOFT EXCHANGE OUTLOOK; this setup uses your Browser program to access a copy of OUTLOOK that is stored on a server outside of your home, such as at your office or a university for example; you then use an OUTLOOK Email with a user id and password that you got from the work or school administrator for using in a remote access fashion.

What' more likely is it's semantics on your end. The 3rd thing you might be doing is to open up your Browser (Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, etc.) and go to a website or saved website in your favorites, that's going to be a Microsoft website, such as Outlook.com. From there you enter your id & password into the Outlook.com login page, or your wife's id & password. This is called WEBMAIL. The old Hotmail was an earlier version of WEBMAIL on Microsoft's servers. Hotmail dissappeared about 5 years ago; so you can no longer use a Hotmail login page as you were doing previously. Many people with MSN.com accounts had the same thing happen to them. Login pages for both Hotmail and MSN webmails dissappeared from Microsoft years ago.

Bottom line here is that you lack some detailed understanding of how E-mail works; there are many different kinds. And yes, it's very confusing. I sort of think you are in the 3rd scenario, but you have to post back and explain further.

There is a new wrinkle with Win10 now, and that is using the native Win10 Mail app or program that shows up on the Win10 metro start screen (tiles); this is NOT Outlook, it is a newer version of Windows Live Mail (WLM) which has been around since 2006. If you are clicking this Tile or Icon, that's a whole 'nother deal to get that working. But, you need to understand that is NOT Outlook either past or present in Win10.

Again, we kind of need more information on HOW you are attempting to access your E-mail; and if it really is Outlook (the program) and not WEBMAIL or W10 MAIL, we can help you figure it out.;)

Best of luck,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

The situation has been confused (by MS - again) by the choice of names. The OP is referring to Outlook.com, an on line Mail program, controlled by Microsoft., not MS Outlook, which is part of the Office suite.. This was, until a couple of years ago, known as Hotmail.com. This is basically a name change and the OP should not have a problem accessing it.
Typing Hotmail.com redirects, automatically, to Outlook.com.
But, open Outlook/Hotmail.com and log in with your normal Hotmail credentials. Click the small gear, top right, and select settings.

You will find several options there, but
the one you need is "Your Email Accounts". There you can edit or add another account. If this is unsatisfactory, then your better alternative is to install a third party desktop program. I recommend Windows Live Mail, which is part of the MS Essentials suite. You can also use the built in Windows Mail program. I have no experience with this but the are members who can guide you through. This can be customised to pick up your Hotmail/Outlook mail

could you send me a link that will give me a blow by blow as to how you do what you have suggested please

Sign in to your Microsoft account

all we want to do is for either of us to be able use Internet Explorer, go to Outlook and open either my wife's account with her password and user name or mine, with my password and user name.

The simple option, and what I recommend you do is purchase a new W8, 8.1 or 10 laptop and let your wife have that… an Asus laptop (here in Australia) sells from $300-$600. Windows is designed to be a single account system so joining multiple Microsoft id accounts is possible but not a nub- friendly experience and unless you need to purchase apps from the Microsoft store for both of you to use I don't see it making your life any easier.

The situation has been confused (by MS - again) by the choice of names. The OP is referring to Outlook.com, an on line Mail program, controlled by Microsoft., not MS Outlook, which is part of the Office suite.. This was, until a couple of years ago, known as Hotmail.com. This is basically a name change and the OP should not have a problem accessing it.
Typing Hotmail.com redirects, automatically, to Outlook.com.
But, open Outlook/Hotmail.com and log in with your normal Hotmail credentials. Click the small gear, top right, and select settings.
>>>This is what I thought as well. Guess we'll have to wait for the OP to post back and confirm this. Had a customer awhile back who when asked told me his E-mail was Outlook, and to make sure I tested it after a windows repair on his PC. I tried his "Outlook" credentials; username and password many times, and it didn't work. It turned out the "Outlook" he was talking about was his work Outlook Exchange webmail. Of course I used this quite a bit in recent years, but he claimed he had the same credentials he gave me that he had used for his Hotmail account (this was back when MS allow Hotmail users to still login from their webmail page). I tried explaining it to him, but he didn't get it. Finally, I called him up and explained that he needed to contact his work IT department and verify the credentials. Turns out I was right; he had a completely different username (since those are usually something like firstname, lastname; or firstinitial-lastname, since they are derived from a company domain naming scheme) and password! Of course his Exchange webmail password had expired, so we had to do a password reset to get him going again. Added a shortcut to his desktop and to his browser-favorites bars and he was then good to go! He didn't understand the difference between the Hotmail user interface he used infrequently, and the Exchange webmail user interface he used every day to check his work E-mail account. And, of course, a few years back, they look very similar. That's why I took the time to ask the OP what he was actually doing, along with explanation.;)<<<
<<<BBJ>>>

You will find several options there, but
the one you need is "Your Email Accounts". There you can edit or add another account. If this is unsatisfactory, then your better alternative is to install a third party desktop program. I recommend Windows Live Mail, which is part of the MS Essentials suite. You can also use the built in Windows Mail program. I have no experience with this but the are members who can guide you through. This can be customised to pick up your Hotmail/Outlook mail
>>>Guess, I'm one of those, since I was one of those who figured out the bug with W10 Native Mail app; I posted a few weeks back. It can be quite tricky to get your ISP webmail working in W10 Mail. Internet-native webmails are pretty easy; Yahoo, Hotmail/Outlook.com, Gmail, AOL Mail, etc. He can incorporate both his Hotmail E-mail address and his wife's into W10 Mail, and we can help with do that as you said. But, they'll have separate inboxes & folder structure. The best way to do that I've seen from other Customers who have done it, it to stop using both their individual E-mail accounts, and create a brand new E-mail using Outlook.com or Windows LiveID and call it "[email protected]" for example. That can easily be configured in Outlook.com, and since Outlook.com E-mail accounts are easily setup in W10 Mail and WLM, they have a single E-mail address then with ONE password. The issue is that they have NO privacy from one another as mentioned by OP; so they have to be alright with that. But, it can be done. Good explanation there.<<<
<<<BBJ>>>

Back