Windows 10 Outlook not autofilling addresses

Archaepon

Hi everyone, New to the forum. Be gentle. I am having problems with outlook. It is not suggesting or auto filling any email addresses that I type. I am having to do this manually. (My short term memory is shot due to illness and so this can take some time) Also the 'People' tab, where I believe addresses are stored, does not open but constantly has the 'loading' circle revolving. So this avenue is unavailable to me.
I have tried: A repair via Uninstall, a system roll back, opening outlook in; Firefox, IE, Chrome. opening via the app in Win 10. Repair via the account with MS. None have worked. I tried the Community page; some people there have the same problem with no fix being offered, only ones for earlier versions of Windows. I have contacted MS via their Help; the techs remotely accessed my PC, they could not solve the problem. I have now spent three days and close on 6-8 hours online with techs. Nothing has worked.I am waiting for a call back within 24 hours now from the escalated team.
Any ideas out there? Thanks.

Hi Archaepon,
you may have checked already but have you run a malware scan?

Try running a System file check scan, right click on the Start icon and from the list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results

Another possibility.

I don't know whether you have checked this, it is trivial and you had help from MS support, but your outlook profile might be corrupt. And that is not an uncommon problem.
Try removing your current account in outlook and make it again.

Last edited:
Hi Archaepon,
you may have checked already but have you run a malware scan?

Try running a System file check scan, right click on the Start icon and from the list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results

Thanks for the reply. I tried the scan; with no result. Ran a malware check as well. Nothing had changed between it working and not. Puzzling and inconvenient!

Another possibility.

I don't know whether you have checked this, it is trivial and you had help of MS support, but your outlook profile might be corrupt. And that is not an uncommon problem.
Try removing you current account in outlook and make it again.

Thanks for that. I think that will be my next move. I am waiting for a technician from MS to call me today. It might be something I can suggest. I am nervous of removing Outlook in case it doesn't come back 'whole'.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have Office 365 and Win 10. Would an uninstall of Office and then re-install possibly solve this problem?

MS have removed the 'File' option and most of the settings in Win 10 version.

I'm running Office 2016 and I can find 'File' in Outlook:
file.JPG

Is yours missing? Can you take a snip like i have done, thanks.

I have just had a technician form MS call me. He took remote control of my computer and took screenshots etc. He agreed that people using Win 10 are experiencing this problem and as such they need to compile a fix. He got me to boot up an older laptop that is using Win 7, my Outlook worked on that! It has full functionality. I am back up with all my contacts on the older machine and await a fix for the Win 10 machine. Will that help you all? Thanks for the replies etc.

Your auto complete entries are stored in a file that ends in .NK2 or in the roaming cache folder C:\Users\<username>\Appdata\low\microsoft\outlook\roaming cache" You can close outlook and move them out of there. Relaunch outlook and see if they get rebuilt and test your auto complete. If you still have the .NK2 file move it to C:\Users\<username>\Appdata\local\microsoft\outlook . Then press (Windows key + r) type outlook /importnk2 and see if that resolves your auto complete.

Your auto complete entries are stored in a file that ends in .NK2 or in the roaming cache folder C:\Users\<username>\Appdata\low\microsoft\outlook\roaming cache" You can close outlook and move them out of there. Relaunch outlook and see if they get rebuilt and test your auto complete. If you still have the .NK2 file move it to C:\Users\<username>\Appdata\local\microsoft\outlook . Then press (Windows key + r) type outlook /importnk2 and see if that resolves your auto complete.
Eeeeek! This frightens me. Thanks for the reply though. I am not that competent on computers.

Hello everyone. I now have a fix for this issue. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Eset antivirus. This was suggested by MS. The fix WORKED! I now have full use of Outlook.com and the People app. I hope this helps someone else and thank you all for the input and help!

Back
Top Bottom