Windows 10 Outlook Read Receipts

Luke13TH

Hi everyone,

I know this isn't an Office forum however i don't know where else to put it or ask. I have a user who's read receipts in outlook are coming back in a different language to what there language is set to. Has anyone encountered this or does anyone know anything about this? Had a look everywhere and cannot find anything, last step is speaking to Microsoft.......

Thanks in advance!

You will need to have your Exchange admin run the following powershell command from the exchange server.
Set-Mailbox -Identity <username> -Languages "en-US"

its office365, its not an on premises exchange server. That powershell command will change the language of the mailbox not the read receipt as i have tried it.

the theory i have come to is that its going through a certain server ie dutch and then when it hits the client it needs to be translated to their specific language

The other item I would check, and I don't know 100% if it's something you can change in office 365, but there is an "Internal Language Detection" in on-premises exchange that would detect the local language of the server and set the language as such. You would want to turn that off.

I'll have a look mate, just a crazy issue in my opinion, one of those ones that doesn't really stop people working but because the word read is in a different language they panic.

This could also be due to a virus/malware lurking on one of your Client machines. I've seen something similar occur on a Customer's facebook account. All the laptops and tablets showed a weird language (I think it was a Pashtu Indian variant) when logging into their facebook account. Turns out it was a facebook virus and it propagated to all client machines that logged into her fb account. Fix was to use Norton tool that scrubbed the facebook account (facebook scan); it found the virus and removed it on her account. After all her machines were logged off of fb, the tool applied and viruses removed from the account, logging back in to fb removed the problem. Had to use the tool on all 3 of the computers she regularly used to login to her fb account however. 2 laptops, and 1 tablet. 1 of the laptops was her husband's; so it was unclear which of those 3 machines was the original infection vector. The lady, my Customer, blamed her husband!

Since you are running Office365, that's a web-based portal E-mail, so it will have to be treated like my facebook virus above in that you have to scrub each and every machine connecting to the E-mail web portal with a removal tool. You could write a script to do this. It could be tricky if you have hundreds of users logging into your Office365 (Outlook 365) client. If you are using this in a company environment, you may have a manual or digital list (in Excel or Access) of all your user's E-mail accounts. You'll have to make sure you get your script to run on 100% of your Users who ever login to your web portal so the tool can scrub ALL the user E-mail accounts of the virus.

I've never seen your exact problem, but, I've talked to other E-mail administrators like me who've talked about similar issues here on the tech forums (also on Microsoft Community Forum). It really does sound like a virus to me.

You can also call Microsoft Support and get help from them, even if your Company doesn't have an annual support contract. MS can help you over the phone for $79-$199 typically charged per incident. They will tell you they have an hourly charge, but you should ask for the "Per-Incident-Support" option. As it could take 20+ hours over multiple days or weeks to resolve this kind of a problem, but you only pay for the 1-time incident charge instead of racking up tons of hours at their hourly rate.;)

Let us know how you get on.
Best of luck,:teeth:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back