Partial Internet Connectivity

Wildcat Rudy

Well-Known Member
#21
Believe it or not, I'm still alive.

And my IE is still dead! :D I've been so busy over the past several months that I have put this on the back burner. Today I had to catch up on my Windows 7 updates, and even got Service Pack 1 installed with no issues. Except that IE is still dead.

Here is something that was triggered by what Saltgrass mentioned earlier: I cannot ping either "Localhost" or 127.0.0.1 on this computer. I get the following when I ping both:

C:\Users\xxxx>ping localhost

Pinging Rudy [::1] with 32 bytes of data:
PING: transmit failed. General failure.
PING: transmit failed. General failure.
PING: transmit failed. General failure.
PING: transmit failed. General failure.


Ping statistics for ::1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),


C:\Users\xxxx>ping 127.0.0.1


Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 10.0.1.100: Destination host unreachable.
Request timed out.


Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 1, Lost = 3 (75% loss),
10.0.1.100 is the IP address assigned to my computer. Running ipconfig /all gives me:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Rudy
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No


Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:


Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCI GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C8-3A-35-D3-68-67
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::19ce:8a4d:676e:c139%2(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.100(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 05, 2012 11:00:00 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, September 12, 2148 6:01:53 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 80230965
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-13-44-B5-63-E0-CB-4E-E0-4F-22


DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled


Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:


Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:2cdd:3b1b:9c49:3f21(Pref
erred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2cdd:3b1b:9c49:3f21%3(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled


Tunnel adapter isatap.{AEBC07EF-1075-478D-82B3-F79EC5E0D664}:


Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
I don't know if I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I even tried resetting the TCP/IP stacks manually at the command line.

I also have access to two different network adapters--one on the motherboard, and the other via an Ethernet card. Regardless of which one I use, neither brings IE back to life.

Thinking back a couple of years, the only network-related issue I remember was when our Internet service went out at the house, and I tried tethering my computer to my Droid. I remember installing a Motorola driver to get the phone to be recognized by the computer, and another software package to enable the networking via the phone. I don't recall if it ever worked or not, it was so long ago. But it makes me wonder if something in those software packages (which have long since been uninstalled) affected anything. I can't really pinpoint when IE and related programs quit working, unfortunately.

If I could do a repair installation of Win7 that kept all the user accounts and user settings, I'd do that as a last resort. But when I did this on XP about 10 years ago, it was like having to start over. With everything I have installed, and relying on this for work, I don't have days available to get everything back to where I need it.
 


Wildcat Rudy

Well-Known Member
#22
I threw in the towel on trying to fix this one problem, so I performed one of those in-place upgrades (to the same version) which worked to restore everything, along with keeping all of the programs and settings. That was earlier in December. Later that month, I took advantage of the $15 upgrade offer to Win8 and made that upgrade between the holidays. Everything's working smoothly so far, and despite all the ranting and raving about Win8, hardly anything has changed on my desktop and even my Quick Launch bar is exactly as I left it.

I still wish I knew what the problem was that caused the partial connectivity. It would have been good to reference for future repairs.
 


This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.