Windows 10 PC Automatic Update Destroyed Even After A Restore.

Should I ask for a full refund considering these specs are great for £383.33 (Offer)

• Refund (Lose money on Windows 10 operating system bought seperatly)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Exchange (Risk at same problem overlapping refund date)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joshua OSullivan

My new gaming computer has given itself an update after a few days of it being sent back after the first time this issue occurred. This supposedly critical update forces itself to be downloaded and applied when connected to the internet, I've reset the PC to the day it was sent back to us when I was 100% sure it was in perfect condition. This update causes an infinite configuration loop of crashing and restarting, for whatever reason when I left it on over night it was on the log in screen. Most times I try to log in the computer crashes on the :( blue screen and restarts and when I successfully log in, it slows down massively and lags every click and time I attempt to accomplish anything. If I click too often or press ctrl+alt+del it instantly crashes.

Specs:

- 16GB RAM
- Custom Intel 6600 (Not K) Intel I5 6600 Skylake
- Custom 1TB HDD Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB Sata Hard Drive
- Custom H110M-S2H (DDR4)

I would consider these specs to run faster than a potato after a windows update.

Questions:

- Should I be blaming the company that built the computer or Microsoft Windows for faulty programming?
- Is this actually fixable considering I have already sent this back once yet it became an issue again?
- If this does get fixed, how would I prevent automatic windows updates?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Joshua and welcome to the forum :up:

Yes we are seeing this problem a lot. However, we'll need full specs on your custom-built PC. We suggest you go to piriform.com and download the free SPECCY diagnostic an upload the output result text file back here to this thread so we can take a look at the specifics of your internal hardware. What we specifically need to know is the Make/Model of your Motherboard, and the Make/Model/Wattage of your PSU. Speccy won't provide this last one, so if you don't have it on your build list hardcopy, you'll need to crack open your case, power down your PC and possibly remove your PSU to look at the label and get that information. We need the Make/Model to determine if you are using a proper quality unit and wattage. Also, I noticed you didn't put in your GPU card either; we should be able to get that info from Speccy. On custom-built PCs we really need this information as the GPU card is often the one that causes these types of crashes and hangs due to driver scrambling. :headache:

Next, take a look at this Post I just did yesterday on subject of the newest Windows Update (v1607 AU) that's being pushed out by Microsoft the last 2 weeks. We also need to know the exact W10 version you are currently running on that PC.

First, here's the information on the WU and how to disable further updates from resetting your drivers and coming into your computer and updating it without your permission: How do I turn off automatic driver update in Windows 10 AU.

Second, here's a Post I wrote on how to determine the exact version of W10 you now have on your PC:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
It might clear up some things if we knew the EXACT version of W10 you are running as there are now dozens of versions out there since W10 release date of 7.29.2015. Click on the Start button in W10, and use the <windows-logo-key> + <R-key>which brings up the run command box. Type in the command "winver" into and W10 will pop up a box similar to this:
W10 WINVER CMD STUDIO540 9-17-16.JPG

**NOTE: we need both the Version number (ver.1511 here) as well as the OS Build number (B10586.589) show in the picture above here in the Red Box.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Once we get more complete information on your system we'll be able to advise you better.
To answer your 3 questions at the end of your post:
Answer1.) This really depends on how well your system was built you purchased. If you read through my linked post above you will see that so far after nearly 2 months since the AU (Anniversary Update) was released by Microsoft, we only seem to have 3 people out of thousands maybe tens of thousands of users who have received the new AU update into their computers and gotten it to work without issue! :wound: The fact that your computer was scrambled by the AU update is no surprise at all; we've been seeing this for nearly 2 months (tomorrow is 2 months exactly). This is confusing, because I build and maintain all my computers; I have 5(five) of them now on W10 and 4 of them on the latest AU update (v1607); none of those were able to run the AU update without issue, and my machines are solid. They are also all OEM computers (Dell, Sony, Acer). When these updates come in, if your hardware is not solid or has outdated drivers these OS updates from Microsoft are especially damaging to custom-built PCs and self-built PCs.:waah: The answer at this point is it could be a bit of both. Until we can analyze full specs on your PC we can't tell you if there are any build errors. We can tell you how to do hardware testing to make sure that there are no failed components since you bought the system. But, even knowing that your hardware build and components are error-free, you can't blame the shop that built the PC. I believe it's still a major problem with the AU update, and is therefore still a Microsoft bug. This means that if you took your PC back 10 times to the shop that built it, the AU update will never work. At this point in time anyway. We've reported this behavior to Microsoft and they are working to fix it, and have made some progress, but it's not fixed all the way.
Answer2.) Based on the discussion to your Question #1 above, I would say no it's not fixable by the shop that built your PC unless we detect an obvious build-error such as using known bad RAM brand or PSU brand or low-wattage or some such. At this point, you need to conduct hardware testing AFTER we review your Specs if you decide to post them back to us. This will eliminate failed components. Of course, if Hardware Testing reveals you do have failed components either the shop that built your PC needs to replace them for you or you need to do yourself.
Answer3.) I already gave you my post above on how to disable the Windows Updates (WU & WUDO), but in case you missed it above, here it is again: How do I turn off automatic driver update in Windows 10 AU.

You've got some homework to do, so we'll wait to hear back from you and then advise you further on what you still need to do.

Hope that helps!:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>> :brew: :pumpkin:

My new gaming computer has given itself an update after a few days of it being sent back after the first time this issue occurred. This supposedly critical update forces itself to be downloaded and applied when connected to the internet, I've reset the PC to the day it was sent back to us when I was 100% sure it was in perfect condition. This update causes an infinite configuration loop of crashing and restarting, for whatever reason when I left it on over night it was on the log in screen. Most times I try to log in the computer crashes on the :( blue screen and restarts and when I successfully log in, it slows down massively and lags every click and time I attempt to accomplish anything. If I click too often or press ctrl+alt+del it instantly crashes.

Specs:

- 16GB RAM
- Custom Intel 6600 (Not K) Intel I5 6600 Skylake
- Custom 1TB HDD Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB Sata Hard Drive
- Custom H110M-S2H (DDR4)

I would consider these specs to run faster than a potato after a windows update.

Questions:

- Should I be blaming the company that built the computer or Microsoft Windows for faulty programming?
- Is this actually fixable considering I have already sent this back once yet it became an issue again?
- If this does get fixed, how would I prevent automatic windows updates?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Joshua,
a far easier way to determine what the probable cause is (usually a driver) is to post your dump files. In fact if you read the following thread it will explain how grab said dump files and post:
How to ask for help with a BSOD problem

Also you don't really want to turn off auto updates except perhaps for drivers.

Once we see the dump file we should be able to advise further.

Back
Top Bottom