Windows 7 PC locks up when copying files

kumaw

Im having major problems when trying to copy any file from 1 pc to the other over the network.
Im running 2 pc's both using windows 7 rc1.
They can see each other fine, they can run programs from each other.
But when I try to copy a file over from any of the pc's the one that has the original file locks up which means I have to restart the pc :mad:
I even tryed copying a file to a laptop that has vista on it and still the lockups.
Any help what so ever would be great.

PC locking when copying file to another PC

My PC too is locking when I attempt to copy files to another network device. I am using W7 64bit What can I do to rectify the problem please?:confused:

DaMole:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Are you sure you are having the exact same problem? The OP was using a release candidate and the post was dated before the RTM Windows 7 Release. The other poster remarks that his trouble is with "other network device" perhaps a NAS?
If you could provide some specifics. What type of network (wired both machines, wireless both machines, combination of wired and wireless)?
Does this happen with all files (very small or very large file transfers)?
What type of third party firewall or other security suites do you have installed on either or both machines? Have you tried uninstalling any such software to see if the problem is still present?
Does the problem occur when transferring files in either or both directions?
Do both machines otherwise behave normally as network clients, on the internet and or sending and receiving email using POP3 and SMTP?
Have you taken a look in the event viewer of either or both machines to see if there are any application or system logs containing critical errors that reference this issue?

ok, I have 3 external hard drives (1t,2t,1.5t) hooked via usb to my pc. when copying files( been copying large 1gig or more) from one HD to another it starts to copy for a while ( usually 15 minutes) then maxes out memory, locks up and I have to reboot. I have windows 7 enterprise 64 bit, 6 gig memory w/ a 1 t internal . On my xp machine it never did that. there was 2 times it made me scan the drives after a reboot. the drives are new and ( 3 moths old) all WD. Thanks

OK, so the problem is not a network problem then at all, is that correct? It seems the issue is with transferring files from your PC to external USB hard drives connected to the same computer is that correct?
Usually these types of problems are linked to chipset drivers which need updating or even motherboard BIOS requiring updates. You don't mention which MoBo you have but you may want to take a look at this article You encounter problems when you move data over USB from a Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2-based computer that has an NVIDIA USB EHCI chipset and at least 4GB of RAM
and if your PC falls within that category it may help. There are many other reference to this issue and Windows 7 on the net and most have been remedied or at least helped in some small way by updating drivers or the mainboard bios.
If this suggestion is of no help in your particular case, then perhaps you may want to start a new thread in the Link Removed due to 404 Error it will in all likelyhood receive more attention and their may be someone who has some specific insight if you can provide details as to your particular hardware environment.
Good Luck
Randy

Back