Windows 7 Permissions are not Working!!

kevin08

I recently switched my OS from Ultimate 32bit, to Professional 64bit. On my extra hard drive (where all my documents are stored), I had a folder that I originally chose to "encrypt contents to secure data" under the 'advanced attributes' section of the folder properties. Now that I've switched OS, I can access that folder and see the files that are in it, but I cannot open them. I've tried replacing ownership, and setting new permissions, which it lets me do just fine. But I still get an 'access is denied' error every time I try to open them. When I go to 'advanced attributes', the box is still checked next to 'encrypt contents to secure data', and if I uncheck it, and hit apply, i get the 'access is denied'. So how can I remove the encryption, so that I can access my files?? Please help!!

Kevin

Kevin08:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Well the good news is, if you did this
Back up Encrypting File System (EFS) certificate
then you can do this
Recover encrypted files or folders
The instructions are for vista but work the same in Windows 7.
If you did not backup your EFS Certificate then I'm affraid you are left with spending some serious money on a program like this
Efs Data Recovery for Windows 7. Restore files from damaged efs partitions
You can test the trial version, it watermarks every file and there may be a limit to the number of files that it will recover but it seems to work all though I make no guarantees.
Best wishes and keep us posted
Randy

Unfortunately, I wasn't aware that I needed to backup my certificates. I figured that since it was the same machine, it shouldn't matter. From what I've researched, there is no way to get my data back. I understand the need for security like this, but I think Microsoft should have developed an easier way to remove the encryption. Like just a password? Instead of relying on the account information. I am extremely upset about this whole ordeal. That data was very important, and it cannot be replaced. Thank you for suggesting the EFS data recovery. I will try it free to see if it can actually do what it says, and if so, I do not mind spending the $150. And even though I'm hoping it works, the fact that there are programs like this, makes me wonder what the point in encrypting my data was in the first place. Anyway, thank you for your help!

Kevin:
Sorry to hear that your problem is not as easily remedied as I had hoped. Let us know how you get on with the EFS recovery software. I suppose that encrypting your files is much like the security measures you may employ in other areas of your life, like locking your doors to your home when you leave, or the doors to your car when you park it. At best they generally boil down to a method to keep honest people honest and to provide a minimal deterent to the lazy criminal. The truly determined and committed professional will always be able to circumvent just about anything you choose to place in their path.

Back