Windows 10 Windows search directories permissions removed again and again

echandon

Hello everyone,

I have this problem many people have had, it seems: Windows search stopped working all of a sudden. It may be because of a Windows update, it may not, I couldn't say. I've tried everything I could find on Google but no luck. The problem seems to be located at the search directories level (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data) - at least that's what the troubleshooter says. And indeed, upon checking access rights on this folder, it appeared that I didn't have them. So I followed the procedure and gave them to my user (I'm an admin on my PC) for Data and all its sub-folders, with full control. I rebooted and I was able to check that, upon restarting, I still had them. But then, first time trying a search, bam, the rights were removed again! What is that about?!
Does someone know anything about this? I've had this PC for years, it has always worked well, so why on Earth has it become so troublesome suddenly?
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

ec

Ah. But I'm an admin user, not just a regular one.
So what should I do then for my Windows search to work again?

Right and even admin users as a regular user until UAC is invoked. I would try resetting the search app.

You can try running the following in Powershell
Code:
$package = Get-AppxPackage -Name "*Microsoft*Search*"

if($package) {
    $InstallManifest = "$($package.InstallLocation)\AppxManifest.xml"
    if(Test-Path -Path $InstallManifest) {
        Add-AppxPackage -Path $InstallManifest -Register -DisableDevelopmentMode
    } else {
        Write-Host "Could not locate install manifest"
    }
} else {
    Write-Host "Search application not found"
}

under the current microsoft default a admin user is a regular user and the true admin account is system i.e, that is why Microsoft are allowed to make changes to your computer without telling you ;)

under the current microsoft default a admin user is a regular user and the true admin account is system i.e, that is why Microsoft are allowed to make changes to your computer without telling you ;)
NO! If you sign in with an administrative account in Windows the UAC does NOT make you a "regular account" you still have administrative rights and permissions..
The UAC only protects a few certain things, but far from everything..

When you sign in with an administrative account you still have all the administrators rights and permissions, that is why it´s considered a bad thing to use any computer while having administrative right (even with a working UAC )..

You are confusing how different account types work.. The system account has got nothing to do with any administrators account.

And please why does not everyone stop saying that the UAC is what makes an administrative account to be a "user" until the UAC makes you Administrator.. That is FALSE!

When you sign in with an administrators account you ALLWAYS have way to high RIGHT and PERMISSIONS to perform every day tasks..
(This is the reason as to why Windows have been, and still is riddled with all sorts of malware, because when non technicians use Windows they always sign in with administrative rights and permissions making EVERY malware och attacker INHERIT their rights an permissions, thus making the malware or attacker to run with administrative rights and with administrative permissions)..

And NOTE! The UAC is NOT created to lower the administrators accounts rights, but instead its created to ELEVATE an Administrative needing process to be run with the administrators elevated rights without forcing the user to sign out, and in as admin, run the process and then sign out and in as user again.. While being signed in as a standard user the UAC automatically changes to ASK for the administrators accounts password..
Read this: User Account Control (Windows 10) - Microsoft 365 Security

What the UAC does:
"With UAC, apps and tasks always run in the security context of a non-administrator account, unless an administrator specifically authorizes administrator-level access to the system. UAC can (note! CAN, not WILL) block the automatic installation of unauthorized apps and prevent inadvertent changes to system settings." NOTE! only apps and tasks are run as "non admin".. The useraccount still has it´s rights and permissions!

Why does the UAC exist:
"When UAC is enabled, the user experience for standard users is different from that of administrators in Admin Approval Mode. The recommended and more secure method of running Windows 10 is to make your primary user account a standard user account. Running as a standard user helps to maximize security for a managed environment. With the built-in UAC elevation component, standard users can easily perform an administrative task by entering valid credentials for a local administrator account. The default, built-in UAC elevation component for standard users is the credential prompt."

If every user signs in with an Administrative rights every one may, uncontrolled, install any software (or malware such as a software-keylogger) simply by clicking "ACCEPT" in the UAC prompt.

But if there is a separate, dedicated ADMINISTRATORS ACCOUNT while all users use standard user accounts this will protect the computer so that NOONE who is a standard user, and does not know the Admin-password simply can not install (unwanted) software, but every user who do know the Admin password easily can runs software setup etc. without the hassle of signing in and out all the time..
(This is what the UAC is built to do! The UAC "protects" better if the users are standard users, but does hardly "protect" anything if the users have administrative rights)

The fact that any administrative account does have UAC is more to make it clear that IF you accept (click OK) in the UAC prompt while being signed in with an admin account IT IS YOUR FAULT THAT THE BAD *WHATEVER* happens.. (Not microsofts fault)
For an Administrative account, The UAC prompt should give you time to reconsider IF you really should accept the UAC question..

For an administrative account the UAC does not offer the needed protection although it does elevate the already elevated administrators account a little bit more..

So PLEASE STOP CONFUSING UAC FOR BEEING A SECURITY FEATURE THAT MAKES A ADMINISTRATIVE ACCOUNT TO BE A REGULAR ACCOUNT, WHEN IT DOES NOT DO SO!...
That is NOT true!

Every well educated, experienced technician already knows this! That is why we should NOT confuse non professionals with claims that are not true!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom