Windows 7 Playing DVD's in media player

krnp01

Hello all,

I have tried a few fixes to watch dvd's on my new laptop without success and wondered if anyone had any other suggestions. I don't have internet access for the laptop so only offline solutions will work. It is a dell xps 15 with an i5 2540m, gt 540m graphics, 6gb ram.

When I try to play a dvd in media player, it gives the generic can't play dvd message, try lowering screen resolution etc. So far I have tried....

installing windows 7 codec pack (from cnet website I think; I put the files on a usb at work then took it home and installed that way)

Changing the region of the dvd drive (the setting for this was correct)

Updating graphics driver

installing VLC player as an alternative; when I try to play a dvd using this, it thinks for a second then windows says "vlc.exe stopped working" and the program closes.

I think its a bit shoddy that windows 7 does not come with dvd playback capability out of the box (unless I am doing something foolishly wrong). Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I am running windows 7 home premium which according to microsoft supports dvd playback straight out of the box. I beg to differ.

Last edited:
Back