Windows 8 Power option not retained

g2c

Hello,

When i tick an option, e.g 'power saver' in the battery meter, it is not retained after a restart and he two radio button return to unticked.

I could not get help from Asus: They want to reset the machine to factory(!) though I know it was so since the first day

Any Idea?

Many thanks in advance

Asus ux31la / windows 8.1

Asus is correct to reset the system. They use the "powergear" software to control the power setting and Microsoft has taken control of the power options for your system… something Asus users wouldn't mind as much if Microsoft actually ensured it worked before putting it out.

If you prefer to keep the Microsoft power drivers then this article will explain how to configure them.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/197908-power-plan-specify-default-all-users.html

First let me thank you for bothering to answer.
Asus is correct to reset the system.
This machine had been reset three times (when purchased and 2 times by asus lab) and i could never have my plan retained so i am surprised that you think that resetting for the 4th time would do any good on this respect

If you prefer to keep the Microsoft power drivers then this article will explain how to configure them.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/197908-power-plan-specify-default-all-users.html

All i want is that when i set an option it be retained. I need no default nor to disable users from changing (BTW i am the only user) Do i need play around with the registry to be able to have my selected plan retained at power on?

1. You can test if this issue is causing it by making a new power plan (call it test 1) and with that set as current… shutdown (not restart) the system… it should remain current but a system restart will revert to one of the Microsoft default plans.

2. Yes resetting the system will help but only if you change something after the reset… otherwise you will download Microsoft patches which will put you back in the same place.

3. It doesn't matter how many users are on the computer for a power plan.

4. it's the default plan that is bugged and that issues would be solved by the reg-edit in that article… note that installing the Windows 8.1 update 1 patch will again reset the power driver… this reset is by design.

To be clear, patching a computer is normally a good idea.

Thanks, Just to be short, if there is a workaround to fix an issue why would Asus insist on resetting the system? A system reset means for the user, re-installing all his programs and configuring them again one by one so that even if all your files are in the cloud, one still needs to spend few days to have the machine one had before the reset.

Anyway, here are the results. As you can see, no radio button is ticked after a shutdown and this is so whatever plan i select and this was so ever-since i had this machine.

To be exhaustive, whatever problem i had, Asus solution was always to reset the OS (in addition to doing hidden things like field programming logic stuff to fix bugs left in the hast to go to the market)

Thanks again

Asus ux31la / windows 8.1

My new plan
2014-07-22 21_47_28-Control Panel_Hardware and Sound_Power Options_Edit Plan Settings.jpg
The new plan is selected and the checked radio button stays ticked till shutdown
2014-07-22 21_53_21-Program Manager.jpg

Machine powered again
2014-07-22 21_51_58-Program Manager.jpg

Last edited:
I played around a bit and here are my finding
if I set 'power4gear saver' it is retained
if I set 'power4gear high performance' it is retained
if I set 'high performance' it is replaced with power4gear high performance
if I set 'power saver' - machine wakes up in 'power4gear high performance' and battery meter shows
deselected 'power saver'
if I set 'balances' - machine wakes up in 'power4gear high performance' and battery meter shows deselected 'balance'
attached the 5 plans, just in case

Attachments

• bal.txt
    14.6 KB · Views: 354
  • hi.txt
    14.6 KB · Views: 294
  • p4g_hi.txt
    14.6 KB · Views: 377
  • p4g_svr.txt
    14.6 KB · Views: 320
  • svr.txt
    14.6 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:
After a recommendation from Microsoft Community power4gear has been uninstalled and everything is now working as it should!

It should be mentioned that Asus put the blame on me for the issue and said it was consecutive to me installing defective files or third party programs or system upgrade.

Asus insisted officially that the only solution they could apply was a factory reinstallation, meaning for me to loose all my programs and their customization.

Asus were right one one respect: The issue was due to a buggy program: Their program.

This same program would have been re installed after a factory reinstallation, causing the same issue to reappear after i'd have lost all my programs necessitating several days to reconfigure.

Many thanks to everyone

Back