Windows 7 Powercfg report and computer not going to sleep

br116

So after reading a lot about how to run the report and open it (yes it does not open from the CMD prompt) I was able to find the PCI vendor and device code and ascertain I have the latest drivers from those manufacturers (Gigabyte and ALI).
Mainly the USB Root Hub and the USB Mass Storage items.
Strangely my Win 7 does not have a "Power Management" tab for these items and the "codes"
PDCAP_D0_SUPPORTED
PDCAP_D2_SUPPORTED
PDCAP_D3_SUPPORTED
Don't mean anything to me.
So now what? The Computer used to sleep and nothing changed to justify not sleeping anymore.
Can anyone help, please?

Your post is a little short on the actual circumstances concerning your questi0n. I am assuming your ran powercfg -energy and was able to read the HTML file. If you did, then most of those files will show problems on USB devices.

Maybe if you attach the .html file we could see something. You might need to zip it in order to attach. A text file will work, but it is much harder to read.

Your post is a little short on the actual circumstances concerning your questi0n. I am assuming your ran powercfg -energy and was able to read the HTML file. If you did, then most of those files will show problems on USB devices.

Maybe if you attach the .html file we could see something. You might need to zip it in order to attach. A text file will work, but it is much harder to read.
Thank you Saltgrass. I will get the report posted as soon as I get home.
Basically, yes I ran powercfg and obtain the report. There are several lines in it regarding the two USB devices mentioned above. the all have the standard:
The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.Under those lines I found the PCI vendor and device code and found in the internet who they belong to and what devices they are (mentioned above). Windows documentations I found "stop" at "make sure your drivers are up to date". Well mine are. Thus the questions..........What's next?
The computer will not go to sleep even though it used to (no hardware changes were made for sure).
I also noticed that not all devices listed in the Device Manager has a "Power Management tab". I'm not sure how to approach/fix that.

We will see if you post the actual report. But I have seen situations where another system is keeping one awake. Seems like media sharing or streaming might be involved, or you have the Network adapter set to wake the system. If this were the case, a powercfg -requests command might show what is requesting the system stay awake.

We will see if you post the actual report. But I have seen situations where another system is keeping one awake. Seems like media sharing or streaming might be involved, or you have the Network adapter set to wake the system. If this were the case, a powercfg -requests command might show what is requesting the system stay awake.

Saltgrass, below as promised is the "errors" portion of the report.
Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report
Computer Name
ZIZO-PC
Scan Time
2013-10-12T00:03:07Z
Scan Duration
60 seconds
System Manufacturer
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Product Name
GA-MA770T-UD3P
BIOS Date
03/22/2011
BIOS Version
F12
OS Build
Platform Role
PlatformRoleDesktop
Plugged In
true
Process Count
Thread Count
Report GUID
{c11b159e-e487-4f14-ba16-cfb2b2bb9bc6}
Analysis Results
Errors
System Availability Requests:System Required Request
The device or driver has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.
Driver Name
\FileSystem\srvnet
USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend

The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
Device Name
USB Root Hub
Host Controller ID
PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5237
Host Controller Location
PCI bus 3, device 6, function 1
Device ID
USB\VID_10B9&PID_5237
Port Path
The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
Device Name
USB Root Hub
Host Controller ID
PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5237
Host Controller Location
PCI bus 3, device 6, function 2
Device ID
USB\VID_10B9&PID_5237
Port Path
Device Name
USB Root Hub
Host Controller ID
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4398
Host Controller Location
PCI bus 0, device 19, function 1
Device ID
USB\VID_1002&PID_4398
Port Path
Device Name
USB Root Hub
Host Controller ID
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4398
Host Controller Location
PCI bus 0, device 18, function 1
Device ID
USB\VID_1002&PID_4398
Port Path
Device Name
USB Root Hub
Host Controller ID
PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5239
Host Controller Location
PCI bus 3, device 6, function 3
Device ID
USB\VID_10B9&PID_5239
Port Path
Device Name
USB Root Hub
Host Controller ID
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4396
Host Controller Location
PCI bus 0, device 19, function 2
Device ID
USB\VID_1002&PID_4396
Port Path
Device Name
USB Input Device
Host Controller ID
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4398
Host Controller Location
Device ID
USB\VID_04F3&PID_0216
Port Path

Device Name
USB Mass Storage Device
Host Controller ID
PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5239
Host Controller Location
PCI bus 3, device 6, function 3
Device ID
USB\VID_12C8&PID_1F03
Port Path

Device Name
USB Composite Device
Host Controller ID
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4398
Host Controller Location
Device ID
USB\VID_0B38&PID_0010
Port Path

Device Name
USB Mass Storage Device
Host Controller ID
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4396
Host Controller Location
PCI bus 0, device 19, function 2
Device ID
USB\VID_054C&PID_01BD
Port Path

Device Name
Microsoft SideWinder Precision Pro (USB)
Host Controller ID
PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5237
Host Controller Location
Device ID
USB\VID_045E&PID_0008
Port Path

Device Name
USB Composite Device
Host Controller ID
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4398
Host Controller Location
PCI bus 0, device 18, function 1
Device ID
USB\VID_045E&PID_00F5
Port Path

Device Name
USB Printing Support
Host Controller ID
PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5237
Host Controller Location
Device ID
USB\VID_04A9&PID_10A0
Port Path

Device Name
USB Mass Storage Device
Host Controller ID
PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5237
Host Controller Location
PCI bus 3, device 6, function 2
Device ID
USB\VID_05DC&PID_A410
Port Path

System Availability Requests:System Required Request
The device or driver has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.
Driver Name
\FileSystem\srvnet
This is the one I would look at first. The other command I gave you should pin down exactly what is involved. But basically, it seems to be a network request from some device to keep your system awake. These may be devices such as smart phones, TVs, or another computers on the system.

One thing to try for this is to block all devices in the Media Streaming options in the Advanced Sharing settings. Or, just turn off all internet/LAN access to see if it sleeps.

Since you only show the errors from your report, there may be more info farther down related to some software or other device. If it is some USB device, possibly some external device making the stay awake request.

This is the one I would look at first. The other command I gave you should pin down exactly what is involved. But basically, it seems to be a network request from some device to keep your system awake. These may be devices such as smart phones, TVs, or another computers on the system.

One thing to try for this is to block all devices in the Media Streaming options in the Advanced Sharing settings. Or, just turn off all internet/LAN access to see if it sleeps.

Since you only show the errors from your report, there may be more info farther down related to some software or other device. If it is some USB device, possibly some external device making the stay awake request.

I will take a look at that.
Below is ther resto of the report.
Warnings
Power Policy:802.11 Radio Power Policy is Maximum Performance (Plugged In)
The current power policy for 802.11-compatible wireless network adapters is not configured to use low-power modes.
CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.
This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.
Process Name
SearchIndexer.exe
PID
Average Utilization (%)
Module
Average Module Utilization (%)
\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\tquery.dll
\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\esent.dll
\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\NaturalLanguage6.dll

This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.
Process Name
SearchFilterHost.exe
PID
Average Utilization (%)
Module
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll
\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\rpcrt4.dll

Process Name
explorer.exe
PID
Average Utilization (%)
Module
\SystemRoot\System32\win32k.sys

Process Name
iexplore.exe
PID
Average Utilization (%)
Module
\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\SysWOW64\mshtml.dll
\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\SysWOW64\jscript9.dll

Process Name
SearchProtocolHost.exe
PID
Average Utilization (%)
Module
\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\rpcrt4.dll

Process Name
iexplore.exe
PID
Average Utilization (%)
Module
\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\oleaut32.dll

Process Name
System
PID
Average Utilization (%)
Module
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\nvlddmkm.sys
\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\dxgmms1.sys

Process Name
PSANHost.exe
PID
Average Utilization (%)
Module
\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll

Process Name
iexplore.exe
PID
Average Utilization (%)
Module
\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\SysWOW64\mshtml.dll
\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\SysWOW64\jscript9.dll

Process Name
Updater.exe
PID
Average Utilization (%)
Module
\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files (x86)\Ask.com\Updater\Updater.exe
\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll

Process Name
Monitor.exe
PID
Average Utilization (%)
Module
\SystemRoot\System32\win32k.sys
\SystemRoot\system32\drivers\ndis.sys

Information
Platform Timer Resolution:platform Timer Resolution
The default platform timer resolution is 15.6ms (15625000ns) and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, processor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations.
Current Timer Resolution (100ns units)
Power Policy:Active Power Plan

The current power plan in use
Plan Name
OEM Balanced
Plan GUID
{381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e}
Power Policy:power Plan Personality (Plugged In)

The personality of the current power plan when the system is plugged in.
Personality
Balanced
Power Policy:Video quality (Plugged In)

Enables Windows Media Player to optimize for quality or power savings when playing video.
Quality Mode
Optimize for Video Quality
Battery:Analysis Success

Analysis was successful. No energy efficiency problems were found. No information was returned.
Platform Power Management Capabilities:Supported Sleep States
Sleep states allow the computer to enter low-power modes after a period of inactivity. The S3 sleep state is the default sleep state for Windows platforms. The S3 sleep state consumes only enough power to preserve memory contents and allow the computer to resume working quickly. Very few platforms support the S1 or S2 Sleep states.
S1 Sleep Supported
false
S2 Sleep Supported
false
S3 Sleep Supported
true
S4 Sleep Supported
true
Platform Power Management Capabilities:processor Power Management Capabilities

Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.
Group
Index
Idle (C) State Count
Performance (P) State Count
Throttle (T) State Count

Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.
Group
Index
Idle (C) State Count
Throttle (T) State Count

Group
Index
Idle (C) State Count
Throttle (T) State Count

Group
Index
Idle (C) State Count
Throttle (T) State Count

Group
Index
Idle (C) State Count
Throttle (T) State Count

Group
Index
Idle (C) State Count
Throttle (T) State Count

I have been checking one of my systems which seemed to have the same situation as yours. I do not know why, and it may not be related, but when I checked Explorer on the system I thought was keeping it awake, I saw a media server entry for the no-sleep system.

I have tried using the powercfg /requestsoverride for the srvnet.sys driver, but have been unsuccessful. I will be doing some research about srvnet to see if I can find anything, but my system will sleep when my other system is not running, but as soon as I start the other system, I get the srvnet power request and it will sleep no longer.

Just a thought. Check
services.msc
Look for "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service"
Stop it and set it to disabled and see if that prevents the issue.

I think I got my one system to sleep again. Strange, one system, the one updated through the store, would not be able to sleep because of the srvnet requesting it stay on.

I found out if you open Explorer and go to the Networking section and open a computer from another one, it will, for around 3 minutes keep the srvnet message in the powercfg /requests readout. But it should go away, and on the one system, it was not. I am still testing but it might be working better, or I just haven't bumped into the same situation, and your idea of checking the Media Player sharing Service is a good one. I had Blocked all Media Streaming systems, but I may have not done a reboot before checking. Something to follow up on. Hopefully, we can get br116 the same success.

On a side note, The DCOM errors did stop with Bing Weather after the 8.1 update and its updates. Maybe this is a similar situation. But I did use the command below to try to stop the problem. (Space before System)

powercfg /requestsoverride Driver \FileSystem\srvnet System

To remove the override, you have to issue the same command without the System on the end. Or you could go to the following registry key and remove it. My system appears to be working now, even after removing the override. Maybe something was stuck.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerRequestOverride\Driver

my system is not sleeping when i put it to sleep mode the screen will off for 15sec then suddenly the screen will on then windows log on screen will appear, but generally in sleep mode the cpu fan has to of and ldd light has to off and only power light has to blink right.............................. please help me out from this problem

my system is not sleeping when i put it to sleep mode the screen will off for 15sec then suddenly the screen will on then windows log on screen will appear, but generally in sleep mode the cpu fan has to of and ldd light has to off and only power light has to blink right.............................. please help me out from this problem

Hi Keerthi,

your better off creating your own thread as more advice givers will see it. In the meantime check your power options in the Control panel and make sure your system isn't set to wake after a certain time.

Back
Top Bottom