Windows 10 Print Spooler crashing?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

Anyone else having this issue?

Christmas Eve I tried to print my gift tags, (I made a sheet of 12 different tags) but it printed about 1/3 of the page and then quit.

I finally found that the Print Spooler Service was not running and started it.

I did this a number of times but it always quit working again before I could print more than a third of the page.

I ended up using the top row of tags over and over.

I reported this to Microsoft and I see that a number of other people have reported the same thing.

I wondered if anyone has found a workaround for this?

This seems to have started with the present build, I'm pretty sure my printer worked fine in earlier builds.

Mike

Hi Trouble

The printer is connected via a USB cable.
It's a Cannon all in one, and I reinstalled the software for it, to see if it helped.

I just checked and after rebooting Print Spooler Service, is set to Automatic, but was off.
I restarted it but I haven't tried printing, but I'll check after the next time I reboot to see if it is off again.

The main problem is that even if it is turned on when you start printing, it shuts off a third of the way through printing the first sheet.

Mike

Sorry I don't have any experience with Canon printers.
Maybe inspect the Event Viewer, Windows Logs, Application and System Logs and see if you see anything there regarding the Spooler service.
Additionally you might want to check
services.msc
Double click the Print Spooler service and have a look at the dependencies and see if there is anything there.
I remember years back certain Lexmark printers installed a service which could cause dependency issues with the native print spooler perhaps Canon Printers do something similar.
OR.....
As we're finding almost daily, there are a few issues with this build which will hopefully be resolved in a few weeks.... fingers crossed.

Mike do you have the latest driver Cannon has for the printer? Printer makers aren't the greatest about keeping drivers updated.
Joe

With the latest Cannon printer for windows 8/8.1....try running it in compatibility mode under windows 10 TP.

Have you installed Canon inkjet utility? My all in one canon printer would not work until I installed it.

HI Guys.

I did install the latest software, and the printer was working before I updated to 9879.
I hadn't tried to print anything until Christmas eve.

I reported it to Microsoft and found a lot of other people making the same report.
Running different kinds of printers.

I don't think it has to do with the printer software, but something keeps turning off Print Spooler Service?

I've had problems with services that wouldn't start, but no with services that keep turning off.

And the printer does start to print, but the Spooler shuts off half way through the process.

Mike

If the software / driver installation was before you updated to 9879, it might be worth the time and effort to remove the software and printer and start over from scratch with that printer and see if that makes any difference.

Hi Trouble

I did update the software after I started having the problem.

But I might be worth removing everything uninstalling it in Device Manager, removing the software unplugging it, rebooting and going through the whole thing again.

I'll give that a try tomorrow.

Mike

Hi

Here's an update...

The Printer is a Canon MP560 all in one.

I uninstalled everything connected with the printer and unplugged it.

Removed it in Device Manager.

Rebooted and observed that there was no longer a printer shown in Device Manager.

Downloaded the latest software for it.

Started installing it.
Plugged in Printer to USB and turned it on, per. instructions.

Clicked Install.

Received the message, "Installation can't continue because the Print Spooler Service is not running".

Opened Services, the print spooler is set to Automatic, but the service wasn't running.

Started the service and the printer software installed.

Printed a test document from Word.

Closed Word and then opened it again.

Tried to print, got message "No default printer found".

I note that it isn't just the Cannon printer that isn't found the other normal options like Fax and Microsoft Document Writer aren't found either.

I don't think this has to do with the Canon Printer, I think that it has to do with the Print Spooler service shutting off for some reason.

If I turn it on manually I can print one page and then it shuts off again.

I don't have a clue, other than waiting for the next Windows 10 update and hoping it gets fixed.

The Printer did work normally in earlier versions of Windows 10

Mike

I can understand your frustration. I am running Cannon Pixma 5320 all in one printer in build 9879 without any problems. I hope in your case there is a fix for it.

Hi

The thing is that the Print Spooler doesn't start even if the Canon printer isn't installed so I think that it doesn't have anything to do with the printer.

Even with no printer installed it should start the service and show the options for Fax, and Microsoft Document Writer, which are always there even though I've never used either of them.

It doesn't do that and if I start it, it shuts down again on it's own.
I just started running SFC/scannow.

Just tried again, opened Word, no printer, opened Services started print spooler and the printer became available in Word without even reloading it.

Mike

Hi Trouble

I think that may have worked!!!
I did as you posted and turned on, LDP and LDR, shut my computer down, and rebooted.

When I looked at services Print Spooler was turned on, and I printed a test page from Word with no problems.

I closed Word reopened it, printed a new message and it printed too.
I see all the printers listed now in the normal way.

I'll let you know in a couple of days if it's a permanent fix.

Thanks for the help, I didn't find any reference to your fix when I was searching.

Mike

Just stumbled onto it during a google search of the problem.
Seemed just weird enough to possibly work.
By all means...... keep us posted.

Hi

Just back to report.

The fix seems to be somewhat arbitrary, I can print without it stopping in the middle but I still have to restart the service to start with.
Thats in spite of the fact that it does say it's running.

But my computer doesn't recognise the printer unless I restart the service, then the printer pops up.

Well I seldom use my printer and I assume that after the next update or so, it will start working normally again.
One funny thing is that I get a message that say I should move my printer from a USB 3 connection to a USB 2 connection.
I never say this message before and I've had the printer for over a year.

Mike

Back