Windows 10 Problem with Creators upgrade control Panel and God Mode

Moondoggy

Extraordinary Member
I just upgraded my PC and my laptop to the Windows 10 Creator's upgrade and after the upgrade I noticed that my laptop is having a minor issue. I know that with the update Microsoft has removed Control Panel from the START menu but it's still available by searching for it on your PC. On my desktop PC I can run Control Panel and I can access the applications that populate the God mode folder I have setup. On my laptop however, I opened the Control Panel but when it displayed the applets, Windows was clocking all the time and then Control Panel closed without warning or an error message. I didn't have a God folder on my laptop so after I created it and tried to open it, Windows Explorer immediately closed without warning or an error message. Has anyone else experienced this and knows how to fix it? Let me know. Thanks.

OK, I solved my own problem!

After my last post I did some additional investigation and found that my problem was an old IDTNC64.CPL file in the system32 folder. I also learned that this CPL file is part of an IDT Audio driver that HP and DELL use on some of their PC's and laptops. Evidently, this driver was never upgraded by any of the Windows releases and that it has a history of causing crashes in file explorer. It's also worth noting that HP's update program never tagged it as a driver that needed to be updated either. Doing another search for IDT Audio driver for Windows 10 I found that HP has an updated driver for Windows 10 that I could download. After applying the new driver and a restart, I was able to open control panel just fine. For anyone having a similar problem here's the link to the driver.

Drivers & Software - HP Support Center.

I just wanted to add an update to this posting.

After upgrading my HP Pavilion DV7 Laptop to Windows 10 Spring Creators edition (Version 1703) I found that when I tried to open Control Panel the application would open and display the applets but you could not select any applet and the desktop appeared to be frozen. After about 30 seconds or so Control Panel closed and I regained control over my desktop. A check of the event log showed and Application Error Event 1000 that indicated that the IDTNC64.CPL was the failing module. To resolve this problem I acquired the latest Audio update driver install program from HP. Although this driver was for a Windows 7, 64-bit PC installing this driver fixed my problem and Control Panel was accessible after a restart. Note that at that time I thought that this problem was due to the fact that HP's update program never tagged this driver as one that needed updating even while it was still Windows 7.

After installing the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (Version 1709) I found that once again I was having the same issue as before and as before I reinstalled the same Windows 7 driver I had previously downloaded and it again fixed my problem with Control Panel. My conclusion is that perhaps the problem I had with the spring upgrade was not an old driver but that the Microsoft Creators Upgrade program caused the problem. Anyway, if you are having an issue with this Audio driver my recommendation would be to contact support for your PC and have them send you the most current audio driver setup program they have for this particular driver. I recommend this as today when I tried to find the driver thru HP's website they no longer provided me a list of drivers for my PC even though I was telling them that it was still Windows 7. My guess is that they don't even want you attempting to install an older driver so they're not listing them as being available but I'm sure that if you call them and speak to a support tech they can send you the most current driver. Fortunately for me I still had the unzipped driver install directory on my PC and I was able to run the setup program that made things better.

Microsoft didn't remove Control Panel in Creators Update or Fall Creators Update. I don't know where you're getting your information from, but it's wrong.
It's located in Start Menu>Windows System.
Settings app isn't ready for Control Panel to go away, yet and probably won't be for quuite awhile.

Back
Top Bottom