Windows 7 Problem with MSE

Sonny

Excellent Member
Every time I restart my computer, I am told I haven't scanned for awhile. The icon stays orange until I do a scan. The problem started this morning when I first turned computer on. Since then I had to restart my computer twice and the same thing happened. The first two times I did a scan only to be told on the next restart that I had not scanned for awhile. Anyone know why this has started happening? It also tells me that I am potentially unprotected.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Hi Sonny :)

Did you download from Microsoft ? ... Link > Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Microsoft Security Essentials I would uninstall MSE and then reinstall (make sure you download to desktop the right bit version) then close down any windows apps running and anything else that is not needed before you install :)

Hi Ciara,

I did download from the Microsoft site. I will uninstall and re-install it and see what happens. I am sure I got the right version the first time. I am running Win7 64-bit. Thanks for answering. I will let you know how it turns out.

I would say you have not ... but you don't have any other AV or malware apps running ?

I may have got the wrong version. No, MSE is the only anti-virus I have. I did have Norton Security 2011 but took it out with Norton un-installer tool. Just restarted and it seems to be working ok now.

That I will do. I should know in a couple of weeks if it is going to be ok.:) That is about as long as I had it originally.

I have changed my settings for testing to Scan one day a week and not get definition updates prior to the scan. It also might matter if you are doing a full scan or quick scan.

If your system is broken somehow, maybe just changing some of the settings will reset it.

Ok try this

Uninstall mse

Reinstall it

Reboot

If it works great if not continue reading

Update the program

Run a full scan

Continue if not working

Go to admin tools in control panel

Services policy

Go down to I think windows family safety right click , properties , and on the start type make.sure its.ok automatic click ok

Reboot

Back