Windows 7 Problem with repeated "Configuring Microsoft Office 2010" messages.

stockhausen

I am trying to resolve a PC problem for a relative. He is running Windows 7 and MS Office 2010. Whenever he fires up Outlook he gets a MsgBox advising him that it is "Configuring Microsoft Office 2010".

If he allows it to run to completion it reboots the PC but reappears when he opens Outlook again it reappears. He can (sort of) circumvent the problem by clicking on the "Red X" in the top right-hand corner of the Configuration MsgBox after EVERY single command. This also happens with Word and Excel.

He has Googled the problem and attempted the KB 2528748 Microsoft Support fix without any joy. He has also tried running CCleaner.

Can anyone offer any ideas as to how he can get round this wretched situation?

TIA

Are we talking about an activated 2010? a screenshot of the popup message would also help.
Screenshot (226).png

So far as I know, MS Office2010 IS activated and has been in use without problem for some time, this has only been happening for a couple of weeks. I will get confirmation and try to get a screenshot.

OK, I now know a bit more.

He has had (and used) MS Office 2010 for about five years - so for quite some time and presumably activated.
This problem started about a month ago. First he thought it was just 'updating' things - but then it just went on and on.
He will send me screen dumps this evening and I will include them - brilliant weather there so he is in the garden!

Last edited:
An update on this and hope for any help . . .

He has tried:

Going to My Computer.
On the top menu, clicking "Uninstall or change a program".
Locating Microsoft Office 2010 in the programs list.
Right-clicking it and selecting "Change".

Sadly it goes all the way, says it is "repairing the problem" then gets to the end and says the process was unsuccessful. Where to next?

Without a screenshot or clear example of the error messages all I can suggest is that your friend un-install/ re-install the product and start again.

Last edited:
Hi, ussnorway, I am not sure how exactly anything more than my notes in the post above yours would help?. The process displays a MsgBox saying it is "repairing the problem" it then gets to the end and displays another MsgBox saying that the process was unsuccessful

In the meantime, I gather that uninstalling and reinstalling a clean version of Office 2010 is a non-trivial exercise - presumably for anti-Piracy reasons?

I am concerned about the risk of his losing all his emails, Contacts, etc. and particularly his SMTP login details if he uninstalls and then reinstalls a clean version of Office 2010.

What is a 100% reliable way of backing up and restoring these details without simply reintroducing the current problem?

Would backing up and restoring the .PST file suffice?

What is a 100% reliable way of backing up and restoring these details without simply reintroducing the current problem?
You could make an Acronis image but that will also copy the errors.

Would backing up and restoring the .PST file suffice?
no it wouldn't

I am concerned about the risk of his losing all his emails, Contacts, etc. and particularly his SMTP login details if he uninstalls and then reinstalls a clean version of Office 2010.

The fact is it's not working now but I'm not upset if your mate wants to keep it...
Is using an 3rd party app like increadimail instead of outlook an option? There are lots around and most of them allow you to make backup copies of your email.

Back