Windows 7 Problem with stadnby mode or graphic driver...

Jacob Collstrup

Heya,

I'm experiencing a crippling problem with my Windows 7 system. When I leave the computer unattended for some time, it turns of the screen. The screens power button starts to blink green, when the screen is on and there is a signal, it lights green constantly, when there is no signal it lights orange constantly. I think its supposed to indicate some sort of power save function, when it blinks green. Whenever my computer enters this state, I can only press reset. I don't know how else to wake it up.

Now the computer enters this state when starting up normally. The whole startup process runs as normal, right until the login screen. At this point the screen goes black and its power button starts to blink green. I don't know how to get it out of that state. It can start up in fail safe just fine. But normal mode doesn't work anymore. It recently had a large quantity of updates, which was pretty wierd. One night when shutting it down, there was 15 updates. Next night 17. It got me a bit worried. It did start up normally after that, but ever since it entered that blinky-state, it won't come to life in normal mode anymore.

First I thought it was malware, I ran a virus check, it found nothing.

Best regards,

Jacob Collstrup

You may want to check your power settings. Right click on the desktop and select personalize, then screen saver.

Set your screen saver the way you want and then select the Change power settings.

It is probably set on Balanced but you can alter it as to what goes to sleep or hibernates, and when.

You should have three levels of power saving. The first is the monitor turns off, the second is sleep, and after an extended period, hibernation. There may be some variances on this depending on your motherboard and bios or capabilities.

To get out of the monitor turning off, move the mouse, which you probably already know. To get out of sleep, hit the space bar. To get out of hibernate, you may have to hit the power button, but I do not allow my desktop to go there. My laptop does and needs the power button to wake up from that state.

If you are having problems with a certain power saving state, try not letting it do that for a while...

I can't select 'personalize' from safe mode.

When I go to Power options (through control panel), its set to high performance.

I don't really understand the difference between turning of the screen, sleep, and hibernation. My computer never turns of the screen. So the 'move the mouse'-situation never occurs. I allow it to go to sleep mode. So I think maybe it goes to hibernation? However when I press the computers power button, it turns of after awhile.

Intersting observation: I logged on with the screen blinking. The computer is running. But it doesn't turn on the screen properly. Or it doesn't send a proper screen signal anymore. This got me thinking that maybe the graphics card was going out. But it wall works perfectly in safe mode.

Could it be a messed up screen driver?

Best regards,

Jacob Collstrup

It might be a video driver problem, especially if it runs normally in Safe Mode. Did you allow Win 7 to install a Video driver update, or are you using another one?

What type of connection to you have to the monitor, and what type of monitor is it and how old? I notice on mine that if I use an HDMI cable, the monitor has a separate driver for that as opposed to an DVI connection.

I have no clue what connection it uses. Some digital thingy. Its a Viewsonic Vx21 or something like that. I failed to check what sort of updates it installed. Anyways...I'm gonna try to uninstall the first the screen driver, then see if that helps. If not then I reinstall the videocard driver.

Best regards,

Jacob Collstrup

Back