Windows 7 Problem with Windows Explorer

yletin

Running with core 2 CPU and 6GB ram.

Win 7 running fine with almost everything, except for Windows explorer.
I do a lot of cut, copy, rename files and folders, after a restart of Windows it seems fine, but after a while, Windows Explorer start to freeze for a while whenever i want to move a folder ( no matter what size it is, from less than 1MB to more than 1 GB ).
This same problem happened with different windows 7 build ...7068, 7077, 7100. Clean installation with every new build. X64 and X86
Anybody have the same problem???

I do a lot of cut, copy, rename files and folders, after a restart of Windows it seems fine, but after a while, Windows Explorer start to freeze for a while whenever i want to move a folder ( no matter what size it is, from less than 1MB to more than 1 GB ).
This same problem happened with different windows 7 build ...7068, 7077, 7100. Clean installation with every new build. X64 and X86

Never had that problem .

after a while, Windows Explorer start to freeze
Have you timed the interval between freezeups? Are they more or less fixed like 20 mnts , 60 mnts etc?

The fact that it is always 'cured by a reboot' makes the freezeup to be a resource issue but you have 6GB RAM and hopefully you have tested them to be good otherwise I would expect you to post all hardware and software details and not just the 2. By saying only about your Processor and RAM you seem to steer us away from thinking about those possibilities I guess. I also presume you have enough virtual memory too. That leads me to consider a Power issue and hence my question about any predictable fixed intervals between freezes.

If you have set your Power Options say to Turn off hard disk after 20 minutes this symptom might conceivably occur. It has not happened to me but I am making a guess. I will try to recreate and see but you can check your system and see if you need to try the NEVER options for all of the Power Options as a test.

I will be interested to follow and learn if you would post the final diagnosis and how you managed it. :)

How much info are you putting on the clipboard? I just copied a 13gb file and pasted it without any issue. I had an issue with Windows freezing up when I tried to highlight a ton of items (ctrl+click), but that was an earlier build. No problems with 7048 or 7077.

Thanks for all your replies.

Like i said the folder or file could be less than 1MB to several GB.

It can take several minutes from freezing (hour glass) to go back to normal, but then any cut and paste will cause the same problem again until i reboot my computer, then it's O.K. for a while before the problem happened again.
BTW, a have dual boot with Vista , and never had this kind of problem with XP or Vista before.
Virtual memory i leave to windows default. i got 7 Hard disks over 6 TB, the same thing happened with all the HD.
750 watts power, all my ram tested O.K.

Back