Windows 10 Problems with internal HDD move out to become External HDD

Sandrew94

Goodmorning,

I had 3 drives on my pc (1 ssd-m2, 1 hdd, 1ssd) and because i need to switch data from one pc to another i bought a docking station.

Right now i put my internal HDD and SSD (2/3) in it and if i tried to boot windows without the docking station on, i receive this error ( Reboot and select proper boot device and press a key), anyone knows how to fix it?

- I tried to change the boot priority but it doesn't work :(

- I tried to Rebuild the boot configuration data but when i write "attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s" it sais that he can't find the directory. o_O

The last chance is to format the first ssd ( where i have the OS ) and reinstall windows but i prefer to avoid it.

Thank you!

Your system partition is most likely on one of those drives. With them plugged in open disk management and you should be able to tell.

my disk.png

Here?? now what i should do?

It is possible to create a new system partition on another disk, but it can be difficult to do. The easiest way is to remove all drives except the one you want it to be on and then reinstall Windows.

I described the process here Manually Rebuilding a Windows Boot Partition (MBR) on manually building one. There are a number of other steps when moving it though like making enough space for it on the target disk, using an offline utility to move the existing partition since the MBR type system partitions need to be the first partition. Moving partitions does carry some risk. Lastly you'd need to manipulate the BCD datastore to get Windows to boot from the new system partition.

Back