Problems with "sudo" command in Debian version 9.5 Linux.

Russell

Attention: windowsForum members:
I am having trouble with the "sudo" command. When prompted for a [sudo] password, I have tried both the Linux root password and the regular Linux password, but have no success. Also, when attempting to use the "ssh" command to log in as root, I use the same two above-referenced passwords, but receive the "Permission denied" error messages ( see the screen capture file, below, regarding the highlighted commands and error messages ):

Capture_sudo_command_1.PNG

Thank you ( see Colossians 3:15, for example ) for your help. Keep in touch.

Sincerely in Christ,
Russell E. Willis
P.S. - Please read Proverbs 23:23.
Holy_Bible_RSV_2_crop (692x687).JPG

"23 Buy truth, and do not sell it; buy wisdom, instruction, and understanding."
[ Proverbs 23:23; RSV ]

Russell E. Willis
3559 Almanac Road
Tallahassee, Florida 32309

sudo allows your existing user to have root level access temporarily. With sudo you would use the password for the account you are currently logged in as. Also as indicated in the screenshot your user is not in the sudoers file you will need to add your account and logout or reboot. For ssh you would need to configure the ssh daemon to allow root login typically that is disabled.

Sudo is disabled by default in Debian due to security reasons.
Attention: livix07:
Earlier today, I used the command "adduser <username>" to add a new user, as described in the following link:
How To Create a Sudo User on Ubuntu [Quickstart] | DigitalOcean. ( Without the period at the end. ) Then I used the command "adduser <username> sudo" to add the new account to the "sudo" group, as described in the following link:
How to Fix "Username is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported" in Ubuntu. ( Again, without the period at the end. )
Before that, I used the command "usermod -aG sudo <username>" to add my original Linux user account to the "sudo" group ( as described in the first link, above ). Thank you ( see Colossians 3:15, for example ) for your help. Keep in touch.:)

Sincerely in Christ,
Russell E. Willis
Holy_Bible_RSV_2_crop (692x687).JPG

Russell E. Willis
3559 Almanac Road

Attention: livix07:
Earlier today, I used the command "adduser <username>" to add a new user, as described in the following link:
How To Create a Sudo User on Ubuntu [Quickstart] | DigitalOcean. ( Without the period at the end. ) Then I used the command "adduser <username> sudo" to add the new account to the "sudo" group, as described in the following link:
How to Fix "Username is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported" in Ubuntu. ( Again, without the period at the end. )
Before that, I used the command "usermod -aG sudo <username>" to add my original Linux user account to the "sudo" group ( as described in the first link, above ). Thank you ( see Colossians 3:15, for example ) for your help. Keep in touch.:)

Sincerely in Christ,
Russell E. Willis
View attachment 36690

Russell E. Willis
3559 Almanac Road

Have you solved your problem or do you still need help? (it is not clear to me from your post)

Back
Top Bottom