Windows 7 Program Install Fail because drive no longer exists

Justin Allison

I'm trying to install a program and the vendor tells me I've got a windows problem.
Specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium
upload_2014-7-16_20-28-38.png

I had a hard drive that crashed. It was drive L. The software I am trying to install was on drive L. I threw the broken drive L away since it did not work.

Now when I try to install the software it says "cannot find drive L". What gives?

Most likely this is due to registry or Windows Installer settings that are left behind that remember this old location. What program are you trying to install?

The installer is obviously looking for that L partition. But normally you can direct the installer to any partition - during the installation. See whether that option exists.

If not, create an L partition and see what happens.

I tried creating an L partition just now. The installer hangs up, and doesn't proceed past "preparing to install..."

Last edited:
No option before the installer fails. That is my main problem of course - you nailed it. Otherwise I could just choose "C" which is what I was hoping for.

Most likely this is due to registry or Windows Installer settings that are left behind that remember this old location. What program are you trying to install?
As Josephur stated above, there are likely remnants of the old instance of installation still present in your registry.
You could try using something like Revo Uninstaller or doing a manual search of your registry and have a look see as to what might be causing the problem.
Using the Windows Registry Editor can cause serious, system-wide problems that may require you to re-install Windows to correct them. It cannot be guaranteed that any problems resulting from the use of the Windows Registry Editor can be solved. If you choose to edit the Windows Registry please understand that you do so at your own risk so unless you feel fairly comfortable and confident you should probably not use the Editor. Changes made to the Windows Registry can take effect immediately and those that do not will take effect following the next reboot of your computer, and a current backup is not automatically made for you....So manually create a system restore point, backup the registry and export the key you are editing for safe keeping before doing so.

I would contact the vendor and see if they have an uninstaller for it, for corrupt installations. If they don't ask them for detailed instructions on deleting all data files that could be in your user profile and registry keys associated with the program. Once that is complete I see no reason why a new installation would fail.

Back