Windows 10 Questions about the search Panel?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

If you click search from the start button right click menu it opens a search panel on the right side of the screen.

It has 3 categories, Everywhere, Files and Settings.

If I type in the word "Lucy" (I picked Lucy because it's my animated character and there are a lot of files like Lucy Title frame 23, etc.) with Everywhere selected and it finds 2 files.

If I type it in with Files selected it finds about 20 files.
I checked and it does find some files on my D:\ drive as well as on my C:\ drive.

But I ran Agent Ransack and it found 483 files on my D:\ drive and another 117 on my E:\ drive as well as 19 files on my C:\ drive.

So what it the function of the Search Panel?

Why does it find some files but not all files?

It doesn't seem to be to serve as a search application in the normal meaning (you can't tell it where to search) or is it just not working as it should.

I'm dutifully relaying all this to Microsoft, but I don't really get the object of this panel.

Mike

Haven't played with this yet, but it seems from my Research that this is part of what M$ calls their NATIVE SEARCH FUNCTIONALITY feature in Win10. I covered this in my Presentation this week. From available discussions here and on other forums and e-zines, other Win10 tech reviewers and writers have questioned the cabapility or desirability of the NATIVE SEARCH feature.

Some of them say, that NATIVE SEARCH is a waste of time, as isn't that what Cortana is all about?? It's supposed to be a hybrid of the ancient Win95 Start-button search. Why?? Many of them seem to feel it doesn't work all that well, and that's it's been kind of ignored with all the hubub on Cortana. It seems to me that if it doesn't work correctly, why release it in the RTM? Even Smartphone & Tablet folks are going to use soft-keyboards to type in searches, unless Cortana can be at 100% at RTM release time, across all devices in the ONE FAMILY concept M$ is touting. If Cortana works at 100% on ALL device types, there is no need for NATIVE SEARCH. Perhaps M$ is hedging their bets; in case they can't get Cortana to 100%, at least you'll have NATIVE SEARCH to look for stuff!??

Thanks for letting us know there's a new glitch in town!:iee:

<<Marc>>

Hi Marc

I have used Agent Ransack for my search engine for a long time.
It works better then anything that Windows has come up with and really will find anything.

It adds a command to the right click menu so it's really easy to use, just point at the location you want to search, select Agent Ransack, put in the search term and in seconds you'll find anything that matches.

If you've never tried it, give it a try, it's free.

http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/download

You'll never use Windows search again. LOL

Mike

Hi Marc

I have used Agent Ransack for my search engine for a long time.
It works better then anything that Windows has come up with and really will find anything.

It adds a command to the right click menu so it's really easy to use, just point at the location you want to search, select Agent Ransack, put in the search term and in seconds you'll find anything that matches.

If you've never tried it, give it a try, it's free.

http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/download

You'll never use Windows search again. LOL

Mike

>>>Hi Mike,

Interesting, looks very fast. I just installed it and will definitely try it out. That's how we learn new things--I'm always trying things my Tekkie forum friends recommend. Thanks for the suggestion.:lightbulb:

How's your weekend weather look back there?

<<<Marc

Hi Marc

It finally got over 75 degrees yesterday.
All the snow is gone now, even the big piles along our driveway.

A few plants are starting to come up, I'll have to start mowing pretty soon.
Time to charge up the battery on the John Deere! LOL

Mike

Get with it Mike. Just finished mine today. First cut. Two hours work but I managed to get the early dandelions.

Hi

It's still too early for dandelions here.
At least this it has been the last couple of years, we had snow from the middle of October to end of March.

Last year it got so deep that the snow covered our 4' fences letting the dogs get out, then they ran to the farm next to us and chased the turkeys all over the place.

We had to change our fencing and put in a new gate so we can keep them up near the house and not let them run back into the wilder areas where the drifts build up.

My Koi just started eating this week, they haven't had food since October.
They won't eat until the water temperatures get over 50 degrees.

Mike

Back