Ram upgrade

After weeks of problems thinking my motherboard was faulty i finally found that one of my ram chips was faulty so i ordered new ram after discussion with Cricial technology and today i installed 2 gig of ram but now the BSOD says your Bios needs updating can anyone advise me how to do this please.

patcooke

Microsoft MVP
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
You will need to identify the make and model of your motherboard then download from their website.

There are about 12 updates none of them mention memory problems the first says first update and not what its for

patcooke

Microsoft MVP
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
They may not specifically mention memory problems. Generally speaking you are best just going for the most recent bios issued by the manufacturer for your mobo.

Upgraded my bios but i am still getting same Bsod stating this bios is not ACPI compliant

patcooke

Microsoft MVP
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
Is that happening both with and without the new ram stick in? You may have a problem with memory type or with the maximum capacity per slot.

When i contacted crucial they didnt have ther ballistix tracer ddr2 that i had and when i scanned my machine it gave about 11 different and the customer service said it was ok backwards compatable there is no problem with an extra i gig stick inserted its only when i try 4 gig my motherboard supports upto 8 gig so that shouldnt be an issue im using 64 bit operating system windows 7

patcooke

Microsoft MVP
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
What is the make and model of the motherboard?

Asus m2n32-sli premium vista edition

patcooke

Microsoft MVP
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
There are recommended configurations - see the info in the attached extract from your motherboard manual.

Attachments

i will try that tomorrow and let you know the outcome

many thanks

I repositioned the ram as in extract but same message bsod bios not acpi compliant.i have 2 ballistix tracer i gig modules and 2x1 gig 800 speed ram which i was advised to buy as ballistix tracer ddr2 was not available and i questioned are you sure that these are compatable and was advised that they are

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.