Windows 7 Random BSOD W7Hx64 when playing videos (DSPlayer/madVR/ffdshow/avisynth)

You have an onboard sound solution don't you? I just checked and it has support for AMD HDMI do you use HDMI or not?

Last edited:
The HDMI port of the nvidia card is what I use, for display and audio.
I don't use the onboard HDMI port.

Well Nvidia have just released a new driver, perhaps the audio part is updated too? What about your cable? Do you have another you could use?

Just to let you know..

I've updated to the latest nvidia drivers after DDUing my system.
I chose not to install the audio driver (as it was the same version), and surprise, I still have sound :)
A MS driver is used instead.. (hdaudio.sys if I remember correctly).

I now have to wait for BSODs. So far not one.. But I still have kodi.exe crashes quite often..
If you're also an expert at troubleshooting applications crashes (as there is nothing in the app log at crash time), feel welcome to help ;)

I'll let you know if BSODs are history, cheers!

I've been having crashes with RC1, RC2, RC3, and I've installed today Jarvis Final, and I have no doubt I'll be having crashes with that one too... as other people have rock stable kodis since quite a few versions.
I've been having issues (koi crashes, BSODs) since I installed W10 (everything was ok on W7).

Have you tried running Kodi.exe in either compatibility mode or as admin?

No but I don't see how it could change the deal (the user account i use has admin rights and Kodi is w10 compatible i don't know anybody who had to run it in compatibility mode)

I have a lead I'm testing at the moment. Last crash of Kodi.exe according to the events log was caused by a Avisynth dll.
I've deactivated it and will see if crashes stop.

About BSODs, it smells good, so far not a single one.
Now the question is why do nvhda64v.sys crash on my system and not other people's. But I doubt I find an answer to that question :)

Well I'm glad to hear the bsod's have at least stopped. As for Avisynth, I really don't know too much about it and had to Google what it was actually used for lol.. Anyhoo this eventually led me on to an Avisynth forum. I just wondered if you were aware of it or if it might be of some help?
Avisynth Usage - Doom9's Forum

There's actually more sections and I guess a better link, for the main page, is here:
Doom9's Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Sad news.. 3 BSODs tonight ( 2 MEM MGT and 1 don't remember).
I'll do another Driver Verifier.
But I'm 2 steps to reinstall everything from scratch.

Verifier on : BSOD on E1C65X64.SYSD (Intel NIC driver)
After HD Audio, LAN Controller?
I'm fed up of it. Off to reinstalling Seven.

Attachments

• W7F_28-02-2016.zip
    935.2 KB · Views: 304
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck C4, {2002, fffff80050152e10, 10, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for e1c65x64.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for e1c65x64.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys
Probably caused by : e1c65x64.sys ( e1c65x64+2e10 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
as you already know the verifier caught the Intel gigabit driver. As your going to go back to windows 7 I guess there's little point in saying much more apart from I hope all goes smoothly with the downgrade. Any issues post back.

Hi there,

Short history :

I was on Seven and never had BSODs or app crashes.
Everything was fine, except a weird bug i couldn't solve and pushed me to make a clean install.

So I took the opportunity to upgrade freely from Seven to W10.
Since i upgraded (clean install) to W10, I have been getting random BSODs and Kodi.exe crashes.
See this topic : Win10 BSOD when watching videos using ffdshow/avisynth (and thanks again @kemical for his patience)

We couldn't find out what was causing the crashes (driver verifier pointed 1st to the HD Audio Nvidia driver, then to the Intel Gigabit driver, false leads, still BSODs even if using other drivers).

I tried one time to make another clean install of W10 : same issues

So I did what I don't like to do, but I downgraded to W7 (I knew that I hadn't any problem on this "old" OS)
==> I just got my first BSOD and a few Kodi.exe crashes

I'm 2 step to give up and sell my HTPC and buy a cheap box (like Nvidia SHIELD). I know it will be a real downgrade in video quality, but I'm just fed up (and the rest of the family even more!) of not being able to watch a movie until the end without having to reboot the computer.

So I'm giving myself one last chance with this topic to find the cause of this issue.

Attachments

• W7F_06-03-2016.zip
    808.8 KB · Views: 336
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 50, {6981fbf0, 8, 6981fbf0, 8}

Could not read faulting driver name
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+41fa5 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
I merged your threads as it saves on confusion.

Bugcheck 50 can be caused by a number of things from failing RAM, faulty hardware, NTFS issues to AV applications and system service issues. I also noticed that it was kodi.exe once again that seemed to be running at the time of bsod.

Please run a chkdsk. If i remember correctly you tested the RAM but didn't check on the drive
The How-To Geek Guide to Using Check Disk in Windows 7, 8, or 10

Download the latest chipset inf and also try the driver update utility linked to on this page:
Download Desktop Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility)

iusb3hcs.sys Mon May 21 08:23:42 2012: Intel USB 3 drivers
Download USB 3.0 Driver: Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver for Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family

Try running the PC diagnostics available under utilities:
SABERTOOTH Z77 - Support

If after updating the above the bsod still continues then try running the driver verifier.

All these bsod's seem to centre around your use of Kodi.exe. I'm unfamiliar with this application but did check their forum which seems pretty decent. Why not try posting a thread there too and see if they can bring any light
Kodi Community Forum - Windows

Lastly what are you using for security and what type of internet connection are you on?

Hi, thanks, I wasn't sure if I needed to open a new topic in Windows 7 forum or continue in Windows 10..

Since the BSOD, I've disabled the light overclock that was set in the BIOS. We'll see.

I'll upgrade intel drivers (I'm with the ones provided by Asus web site at the moment, but I'm pretty sure I was on the same ones at the time I didn't have any BSOD)

I know very well the Kodi forum but I have doubt they will be able to help me about BSODs. As I seem to be the only one with the issue. But I'll try :)

I don't have any AV installed on my system (I try to be careful, as it's a dedicated HTPC for watching videos, I don't go on internet and don't install fancy stuff).

My internet connection is a sloooow ADSL (3Mbit/s)

Thanks for helping. Again :)

Since the BSOD, I've disabled the light overclock that was set in the BIOS. We'll see.
I didn't realise you were overclocking. It would have been the first thing I'd have suggested (to turn it off) just so it's not a factor in any test results..

Also isn't there another application like kodi.exe you could try? The only reason I ask is because if the machine blue screened using both apps it might suggest a bigger issue whereas if it's only kodi thats crashing it might be just that app or version.

Well the PC is in the lounge, it's only purpose is being used as media player, so no, I don't see what other app I could run.
Maybe a stress test overnight when no one is using it?
Any suggestion for a good stress app?

Well have you had a bsod since going back to stock values? If you haven't, carry on using as normal and see if one occurs.

You never know it may well turn out to be the overclock after all.

Not a BSOD since that no. But I need to wait longer before saying it's won.
Note : I've always been (a little) overclocked even before BSODs started.
And I recall BSODs started after a big change in my PC : install of Win10.
The weird thing is I got one back to Win7.
Well let's wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom