Windows 7 Random lock ups on windows startup

delciotto

Ok I've had this weird problem for about 9 months now when starting up, on the window loading screen ( where it shows the windows logo on screen) my comp could just lock up on it randomly. this has been happening from windows xp to now windows 7. at first i was told it was caused by my video card because since amd and ati partnered and nvidia and intell partnered, using nvidia cards on a amd MB causes problems like that, this was back when i had XP/vista. Ok so i was cool with it but a couple days ago i bought windows 7 pro and a brand new ati video card hoping these problems would be gone but, they are not! so does anyone have any idea what is causing this weird problem that has carried over from my old comp to my new one? the only thing that is the same is the computer case from when i had xp.

comp specs:
Motherboard: Asus M3A78-EM
Processor: AMD Athlon 7750 Dual-Core Processor
Ram: 2 x 2GB sticks of Corsair PC-6400 DDR-800
Video card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 Video card
Hard drive: WD caviar black 500GB
PSU: SilverStone ST65ZF 650W

Did you install about 9 months ago?

Little too late for System Restore

Dis you perform a "clean" install or an upgrade?

no i formatted and installed windows 7 and the new video card 2 days ago thinking the problem was being caused by my video card. the rest of the hardware has been installed at various times since january.

Go to Control Panel > Device Manager and see if there atre any yellow flags under any entry.

What is the exact make and model of your sound card?

That really doesn't matter,. even though it's onboard.

Could you please fill in your computer specs in the UserCP link at the top left hand side of the page.

Then click Edit Your Details.

This freeware program will give you all the information you will need:

SIV (System Information Viewer) 4.03

well i did already list them and there isn't enough room on most the spaces to list the comp specs so i put what i could fit where i got limited

Last edited:
Try this link and choose the 5700 series.

First uninstall your old drivers.

Look in Programs and Features first the go to Control panel > device Manger and under Display adapter remove it here if it still exists.

umm you didn't link anything but i'll install the latest drivers, even though it never worked in the past, ill restart my comp a few times to see if it freezes at the widnows logo at all

Sorry about the link,. but do a system restore if you can get in.

If not,. keep tapping the f=F? keys until you find a screen with Last Known good Configuration,.

Sorry about the link,. but do a system restore if you can get in.

If not,. keep tapping the f=F? keys until you find a screen with Last Known good Configuration,.

I know for a fact that is not the problem i just did a full format before i installed 7 pro and it kept doing this from the start

Back