Windows 7 Random Shutdown Problem

Backslash

I've searched up shutdown problems on the forum but I could not find anything directly to my problem.
When I press shutdown from the Start Menu, sometimes it will just restart or it will actually shutdown. It is very random but I've tested when I Shutdown about 3 times, it will actually Shutdown.
I have a feeling its a hardware problem but I don't know how to diagnose it.

Any help is appreciated.

I had a similer problem with my older pc. After a while it wouldn't shut down any more, it would just reboot when I selected shut down. I had to pull the plug or flip the switch on the power supply. About 6 months later the power supply died. Not sure it's the same problem, but it sounds very familiar.

I had a similer problem with my older pc. After a while it wouldn't shut down any more, it would just reboot when I selected shut down. I had to pull the plug or flip the switch on the power supply. About 6 months later the power supply died. Not sure it's the same problem, but it sounds very familiar.

That's not good...I've only had my power supply for a little bit over a year.
What happened when you replaced your power supply?

It worked fine after I swapped out the PSU. It also started making a whining noise just before it died.

If I keep my current PSU while the problem persists, can I damage other hardware parts?
I guess it's possible. I knew I was building a new one soon, so I really didn't care. I haven't really tested it out much. The PSU wasn't mine, but it did boot up and shut down fine.

Hardware could be a "worst case" scenario. I have not heard of it through Vista and now Windows 7, but some software used to cause the problem also. Roxio CD software was a major player.

I would suggest that, before you start putting your hand in your wallet, that you make an image of your present setup and reinstall. See if the problem persists in a bare install.

Last edited:
Harware could be a "worst case" scenario. I have not heard of it through Vista and now Windows 7, but some software used to cause the problem also. Roxio CD software was a major player.

I would suggest that, before you start putting your hand in your wallet, that you make an image of your present setup and reinstall. See if the problem persists in a bare install.

I definitely agree with that. In my case it was hardware, but I'd try to rule out other stuff first. A clean install might be a good idea.

My PC just restarted by itself.
Does anyone know the solution to this problem?
A common cause of the computer restarting itself is that you have windows updates set to automatic, it will restart without asking you. XD Another is overheating which usually happens when a fan dies.

A common cause of the computer restarting itself is that you have windows updates set to automatic, it will restart without asking you. XD Another is overheating which usually happens when a fan dies.

I monitor my cpu temp quite closely so it can't be overheating.
It might be windows updates because I have it set to download the updates but im in charge when to install them. so i should just stop windows updates?
the restart is like very sudden, out of no where.

Back