Windows 7 Random Spikes / Freezes every 1 second for about ~ 0,5 seconds of duration.

Manuel88

Hey first of all.
I've tried searching for a similar thread but could not find any, bear with me in case I missed something like that, also this is my very first post as my friend directed me here.

So my problem is:

I keep getting this random issue in which my computer starts spiking/freezing every about 1 second for 0,5 seconds of duration.
- With random I mean:
that there is no scheme regarding a time-frame, sometimes it doesn't appear for a week or two, sometimes I get it twice in a few days.
and also I can not figure any kind of thing which would be the trigger for it - simply because I've had it happen during idling at the desktop just after booting, also during gaming sessions and hours of usage.

(windows 7, 64 bit, clean install - no upgrade)

This includes a freezing in my music if I listen to any, my mouse cursor, simply everything.

I have tried using the task manager to eventually identify the possible cause - however I was not able to do so, also my usage is not more than 30-35% tops > ram usage.

Today it happened during idling in the starcraft 2 lobby while connected to the multiplayer, however I had causes in which it triggered just after booting and / or not being connected to the internet.

So far my solution (the only one I came up with) is rebooting the computer and waiting for it to appear again, which might be a day, a week, maybe even two or three weeks, but eventually it will appear again.

As a competitive gamer it is kinda needless to explain that when this occurs in a match, it basically means an auto-loss for me - therefor it kinda strikes on my nerves as it isn't that much of a bother if I am not playing, as a simple reboot would solve it for a while - but if it triggers in a match (which I had happen a couple of times by now) it would cost me an eventual important match/game while not being able to replay that given game.

Monitoring my everest tells me that the sensors are never overheating either which would be a valid explanation for it, also I did various kind of malware / anti virus checks (full version of kaspersky) which were all without any kind of reports.

PC Specs:

- Cpu: QuadCore Intel Core i5 750, 2633 MHz (17 x 155)
- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 (2 PCI, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
- Ram: 4091 MB (DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM) 2x 2gb
- Graphic Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 1GB GDDR5
- Windows 7, 64 bit, clean install - no upgrade, like mentioned above already.
- HDD: 380 GB on the only non storage partition with 260 GB still free.

Thanks in advance.

Check your system for bugs....malware, spyware, adware, trojans then run you AV software.

Check your system for bugs....malware, spyware, adware, trojans then run you AV software.

Also take a look at your startup programs and in your task scheduler... It sounds to me like some background task is grabbing a timeslice and not letting it go...

Both solutions I've tried out, none detected anything suspicious.
Thanks so far.

Ok, grab the Link Removed due to 404 Error and run it on your system for a while. See if you are getting any spikes over 200us. It could be a driver freezing up or some higher priority task blocking the system...

As a test, you should disable any setting in the bios that throttles the cpu speed.

If you'd like me to show you which drivers need updating which can affect all this, please type msinfo32 in the start menu then press enter. File | save on the opened screen. Then zip the saved file and attach to a post.

Ok, grab the Link Removed due to 404 Error and run it on your system for a while. See if you are getting any spikes over 200us. It could be a driver freezing up or some higher priority task blocking the system...

Alright, I've downloaded and it ran for about 3 hours in my background during playing, running multiply softwares to stresstest it a bit.
The "Absolute Maximum" was 466us, I doubt anything above 500 should cause any issues though.

@TorrentG, I've attached my msinfo32 for you, thanks.

Attachments

• Manuel88 msinfo32.rar
    145.1 KB · Views: 274
Double posted accidently due to not noticing that attachments require a confirmation by an admin.
I am sorry for that.

Attachments

• Manuel88 msinfo32.rar
    145.1 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
Alright, I've downloaded and it ran for about 3 hours in my background during playing, running multiply softwares to stresstest it a bit.
The "Absolute Maximum" was 466us, I doubt anything above 500 should cause any issues though.

Actually it can... If it is consistently above 500 or if you're getting big spikes to like 2000 or more it will cause problems.

@TorrentG, I've attached my msinfo32 for you, thanks.

Update your older Realtek HD Audio driver:

Realtek

-------------

Open an elevated command prompt. Type systeminfo then press enter. It will tell you the Realtek lan number you have. if you have 8111, use the following link. if anything else, search the left side of the link for the update:

Realtek

----------------

Uninstall Kaspersky in safe mode using the tool found here. Reboot and install MSE:

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums

----------

Uninstall TuneupUlities and also Speedbit Video Accelerator. Reboot.

If you follow all this well, your issues will be gone. Enjoy. You might want to also disable RivaTuner from starting with Windows.

UPDATE: I just had the same issue occur and now that I know about the possible checks during it happening I was able to detect constant lag spikes over DPC.
Therefor I opened the EventManager and was able to detect one error message every second which literally is the problem caused by my cd/dvd drive.
Seems like its broken or bugged, which now doesn't bother me anymore as all I had to do was open up the Device Manager and disabled my dvd drive.
I got rid of this issue and just wanted to leave my update here for eventual future matters in case anyone encounters a similar problem.

Thank you a lot, without your advices regarding the software and the event manager (which I did not know about until I got here) I would have not been able to solve this, afterall it could have been anything.

Can be closed now!

Regards,

Manuel.

Hey guys

i'm glad i found this here cause I've been suffering from the same problem for 2 months now, i tried to format the system and install fresh copy of widows and the same problem persists.

its exactly as described earlier and i'm getting a max latency of 356261 which i guess is alot.

please help, i did everything you described here but nothing worked....

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 526
Back
Top Bottom