Windows 7 RC1 Freezes and stops responding

Armalite

Hi!

I installed Win7 RC1 the other day, clean install, dual boot with XP. Everything went ok but after install the system starts to freeze now and then. Especially when browsing the HDD. Let’s say I open a map with a lot of files and starts scrolling down, the system freezes for about 1-2 sec with every scroll-click. I can still move the mouse but everything else stops responding.
I did not have this problem with the beta build 7000.

Specs:
ABIT KN8-Ultra, nForce4 Ultra,Socket-939
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2GHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 4670 512MB GDDR3
Samsung SpinPoint P120S 250GB SATA2
Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2 DDR-DIMM 2GB

I’ve tried the latest driver for almost everything. Ran windows update. But I can’t find any new drivers for the nForce4 chipset so I’m running out of options.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Hey reghakr, thanks for your respond!

Sorry, but I can’t really see what a bootmanager would do for my problem?
Both XP and Win7 boots up just fine.

I'm sorry, should have read your question more thoroughly.

Did this behavior start after mapping the drive letter, or is browsing files on the local system?

Alot of files on a mapped drive are going to be slower.

No problem! :)

I installed Win7 on 25GB partition of a fresh new 320GB HDD. That behavior started right away on the first run. Even opening “My Computer" is slow and causes it to freeze for a few seconds.

But yeah, there is a strange arrangement with the drive letters now. Could this be the cause? And is there a fix?

Strange tho that this didn't happend with the 7000 build.

If the version of your chipset is lower than 6.67, you can get an update here:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Do Not download their driver update tool. these programs are worthless and just an attempt to make you purchase them.

Yea, every time I install a new build the drive letter change.

i usually go into Disk management and change my DVD to letter Z, then change the drive letters to my liking

Well, sorry for the delay but that driver screwed up the whole installation. It was dated back to 2005. Now I've installed Win7 a third time and I'm back to square one. Actually it's not just browsing folders that is the problem. The whole system is deadly slow and unusable. I've dualbooted like 20 different OS on this machine before and never had any issues like this.

I'm almost sure it's a driver issue. I've heard something about SATA-drivers needs to be installed separately. Anyone know anything about this?

Also, I can't see updates in WU as shown in the picture:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

I don't think it's related to the other problem but it's very anoying.

I'm sorry that happened

Actually all you had to do was a system restore.

No need to re-install:)

I'm sorry that happened

Actually all you had to do was a system restore.

No need to re-install:)

Ofc I did a system restore. Didn't help.

I guess Ill have to wait for bulid 7227 or something.

I had BIG expectations on windows 7 and 7000 looked kida promising but this is...
If Microsoft fail again Ill go Mac :)

Remember, this is just a release candidate.

It's the hardware manufacturers that have to come up with Windows 7 drivers. It's not all up to Microsoft.:)

Hi!

I installed Win7 RC1 the other day, clean install, dual boot with XP. Everything went ok but after install the system starts to freeze now and then. Especially when browsing the HDD. Let’s say I open a map with a lot of files and starts scrolling down, the system freezes for about 1-2 sec with every scroll-click. I can still move the mouse but everything else stops responding.
I did not have this problem with the beta build 7000.

Nor did I :mad:
Hello folks I have the same Not Responding problem on my x32 system.
When 7000 came out I used it and loved it and had no problems like this.
When the RC1 came out I did a Clean install and this Not Responding issue started.
I have since done another Clean install using 7127.
The Not Responding problem remains
mad.gif

To do any work I have to go back to XP Pro (I dual boot).
Surely with so many folk having trouble with Not Responding apps there is a solution.
Please help if you can.
Thanks,

Nor did I :mad:
Hello folks I have the same Not Responding problem on my x32 system.
When 7000 came out I used it and loved it and had no problems like this.
When the RC1 came out I did a Clean install and this Not Responding issue started.
I have since done another Clean install using 7127.
The Not Responding problem remains
mad.gif

To do any work I have to go back to XP Pro (I dual boot).
Surely with so many folk having trouble with Not Responding apps there is a solution.
Please help if you can.
Thanks,

Sorry to hear that. Glad tho that I'm not alone with this annoying issue. Actually I've noticed that this unresponsive behavior is worst right after startup. After a few minutes and with some apps running the system becomes more responsive. But definitely not acceptable for daily use. A solution for this would be epic.

What spec do you have btw?

Dell Dimension C521
Chipset: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
Display: Radeon X1300/1550 series WDDM
Monitor: Dell S2409W
:cool:

Some good news:
Build 7201 Solved this issue for me! Well i've been running it for the last hours and it runs like a charm! :)

Last edited:
Back