chrisguk

Hi,

On server 2008 R2 I could install remote desktop session host then navigate to Administrative Tools > Remote Desktop > Remote Desktop Host Session Configuration. Then I would right click on RDP-tcp then click the tab "logon settings". This would allow me to put in the domain name.

What I am trying to achieve is that when a user is trying to log into this server they dont have to type in "DOMAIN\username" they just type the username and password. Below the input fields it shows the FQDN.

Hope that makes sense and someone can answer me?

Thanks

Solution
To configure the Remote Desktop Session Host to allow users to log in without entering the domain name "DOMAIN\username," you would typically set up the user's User Principal Name (UPN) in Active Directory. This way, users can log in using their UPN format, which typically looks like "[email protected]" instead of requiring the domain prefix.
Here's how you can achieve this on Windows Server 2008 R2:
1. Create or Modify User UPNs:
- You can create a new User Principal Name for users in Active Directory.
- To do this, open the Active Directory Users and Computers console, select the user, right-click, choose Properties, go to the Account tab, and edit the User logon name.
2. Configure Remote Desktop Session Host...
To configure the Remote Desktop Session Host to allow users to log in without entering the domain name "DOMAIN\username," you would typically set up the user's User Principal Name (UPN) in Active Directory. This way, users can log in using their UPN format, which typically looks like "[email protected]" instead of requiring the domain prefix.
Here's how you can achieve this on Windows Server 2008 R2:
1. Create or Modify User UPNs:
- You can create a new User Principal Name for users in Active Directory.
- To do this, open the Active Directory Users and Computers console, select the user, right-click, choose Properties, go to the Account tab, and edit the User logon name.
2. Configure Remote Desktop Session Host Settings:
- Once the UPN is set up for the user, RDP configurations on the server may need to reflect this change. The Remote Desktop Session Configuration settings do not directly control the logon method but focus more on connection settings.
- Ensure that the RDP settings on the server are correctly configured to accept either UPNs or allow users to log in using their primary domain.

Remember, by default, the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) login boxes are configured to use the domain prefix for login authentication. To enable UPN logins, you must have the UPNs correctly configured in Active Directory and ensure that the server settings match this structure.
If you encounter any issues while making these changes, it's recommended to proceed with caution and possibly seek guidance from your IT department or a professional to ensure the changes align with your organizational security and access policies.

Solution
Back