Windows 10 Re-Imaging Issue >> How to Install Driver?

What are the implications of not having an Emergency Disc/Rescue Media

The point of an emergency disc (any version of back up software) is to have a fail safe against the system refusing to boot into windows… malware, bad sectors, broken partitions etc can all cause a windows boot to fail which makes it hard to perform your tasks.

A system recovery disc (USB, hidden partition on the hdd, network work access location or old school (actual) disc) can be inserted to allow the system to boot into your backup software and browse the remaining locations looking for a previous backup file that you can recover the system to.

Having no rescue disc option at all is not a good idea for anyone (pro or home user) with windows systems…

Hi I agree 100% with @ussnorway about a live rescue disc, however my thinking is that you can boot straight into Macrium by using this option.
That's the way I have mine set up. I don't need the rescue to boot into Macrium! In your case I'm thinking you should chose "No Menu"

Capture48.JPG

Wow I am impressed Gary, I have never heard of this and I have been using Macrium for about 4 years now. I have to look now and see if Acronis has this same option, again I have never heard of it.

Hi @RichM It works real well. I just made me a W10 Macrium rescue disk, just in case I can't boot into windows. I might need the rescue disc if I have to replace my Hard Drive also! I've been using Macrium nearly 12 years. Texas could also buy a USB CD/DVD drive like you suggested. He would have to have the option to boot to CD/DVD in BIOS as first choice. My PC language leaves a lot to be desired, but I think I said that right!
I try to cover all my bases.

Hi I better add this in case you want to change it back.;)
To remove that boot menu option, run Reflect in your normal Windows environment and select Other Tasks -> Add Recovery Boot Menu Option ... from Reflect's top menu bar. From the pop-up dialog box, select "No Menu".

I'm wondering if the OP was actually having a problem with USB 2/3 controller that doesn't have Windows drivers included in the install, but finds them via Windows Update and it wasn't the actual drive with issues.. It's late and I can't be bothered to read all the posts, but I've restored from those drives before, of course I slipstream my storage and USB drivers into my restore medium though.

Hi @Joseph You are above my pay grade my friend. I have no problems with the window back up image.
Maybe you can reply further. I think Texas is going with a 3rd party image program!Any help you have will be appreciated!
Thanks for your reply!

@jmbtexas4 How are you trying to restore your images, are you booting from a Windows 10 disc image or USB device prepared with the Media Creation Toolkit? If so it may lack the USB2/3 driver to operate the WD drive you're trying to restore from. You have 3 options:

1) Use a program like NTLite to slipstream the required chipset driver to operate your USB hard drive plugged into those ports at restore boot time.
We would need to know the exact make/model of your computer and motherboard details to assist on this front.

2) Plug the hard drive into the slowest on-motherboard port possible (I know it's going to make your restore time take longer, but it may not require the driver that Windows is missing then).

3) Copy the restore images to another device or a secondary internal hard drive to see if it truly is the WD drive having the problem (and not the USB as I suspect) or BluRay disc and restore from there.

Hey Texas! You have gotten a lot of good
suggestions on your thread my friend. Is this not a great forum?? Aren't you glad you started another thread??
You will soon be the back up image King on Windows Forum!;)

josephur I think you missed that the whole discussion is based on the fact that Texas has no cd-dvd drive and his external drive has other things on it preventing use of it for rescue media also so we were talking about the need for rescue media as well as alternatives.

Hi guys, thanks for the input. Honestly, I have already moved on from the Windows image option as I tried many things. I still believe it can be solved, but frankly, nothing I have tried thus far has worked on any of my three computers. I've spent a lot of time on it already, and it just shouldn't be that hard, so I've moved on to Macrium and ToDo.

Yes, I understand the importance of having a rescue disc. My question is...

If you don't have a rescue disc for Macrium or ToDo (for whatever reason) or the rescue disc you created doesn't work, you can always reinstall the OS and then load your image from there, right? Yes or no?

I understand that's not what you want to do. I am just asking if it's something you can do.

Well first of depends what the image was created with if it was a third party software or if it was window itself then it would have to be the same type as like pro ultimate for home or whatever kind the window I was/not just an answer yes or no there are some factors to be considered

Right, I'm saying I have Macrium and ToDo installed and created an image using both programs. If the rescue disc didn't work for either, could I still re-install Windows and then re-image the drive with the image I previously created with the programs?

Look we're not trying to give your running around on your question this thing is that some formats of imaging are not recognized by some other software's so what I'm trying to say and I will give you an example if you create an ISO using certain third-party software's when you will try to open it with the Microsoft tool the ISO is not recognized so when you create images with third-party software in your instant I would try to find out if those two particular software will be recognized by Windows because what you trying to say is that after you install window pick up the image and reimage your hard drive with all that said I'm not sure what you're trying to do really if I was you and I did not want to take any chances I would clone the hdd drive versus imaging hdd I know for sure that my hard drive is recognizable from that particular PC I hope I'm not making this confusing if you didn't understand something please let me know

im a fan of paragon imaging and its the same image as Microsoft in many forms but i will investigate to see if macrium is the same image that Microsoft recognizes i have found what you're looking for
look at this video please

Lets say it another way. You reinstall Windows and then with Macrium installed you "explore" the image file you had made and take out the files and data by copying and pasting then the answer is yes. No need to restore the image file when you have already installed Windows clean but you can copy out the files and data from the image file by using image explorer in whatever program you used.

Right, I am not talking about using Windows functionality to re-image the computer. The rescue disk doesn't work, so I re-install the OS, re-install Macrium (or ToDo) and then find the image I created with that software on my external drive.

I guess I don't understand how to "explore" the image and copy and paste files from it. Yes, Windows is re-installed, but I have many other programs and would just like the computer they way it was when I took them image.

Thanks!

Back