Windows 7 Real Player starts on it's own whenever it wants to.

kellyjdrummer

OK, first off, I looked around for a new member Introduction board, but didn't see anything close to it.
So, I'm Kelly, glad to be here and thanks for having me.

Now on to the meat of this thread.

I've had my new HP laptop for about a month and a half and can't whine about it other than, as with all MS OS I've used, "This yada yada is not responding" still seems to be Microsoft's rebel yell. So be it.

My problem, as my subject line states, Real Player starts at anytime it decides to be able to do so. Is this something new (my guess is Yes) that is a conflict with Real Player and Win 7 or is it just my machine? If there's a reg fix or something, I'd be willing to go there. I'd like to keep it because I use it to listen to music while I work and don't want to drop it. I can access the music website I like online through one of four browsers, but I would rather use RP to listen to online music, mostly classical orchestra.

Win 7 Home Premium x64, 500g hd, 4g ram, HP dv7-3160US machine.

TIA,
Kelly J.

Wow, 344 views and not a single response. Guess I'll take it over to a lesser known site and ask there. Thanks for looking.

Real Player

Wow, 344 views and not a single response. Guess I'll take it over to a lesser known site and ask there. Thanks for looking.

I think you should un-install your "Real Player" and then try re-installing it. Perhaps the program has become corrupted. For good measure check for any virus or malware which could be causing problems. You also might be suffering from a conflict with some other software--make sure to check it out.

Done all of that. Malwarebytes, CCleaner, McAfee scan, yada yada. Currently I do not have RP installed, tired of dealing with it. I want to use the video capture capability to capture Photoshop tutorials. This started the day I bought this laptop, Feb. 12 2010. It has me baffled. I'm new to Win 7 but not pc's. This is very weird.

I have JetAudio set as my default player for everything. I have an XP Home setup the same way on a TOSHIBA Satellite and have never had this problem. I'm thinking this is a Win 7 situation for obvious reasons.

Thanks for your response, Celestra.

I have JetAudio set as my default player for everything.

It can be a file type or a streaming video's extension assigned to real player causing it to pop up. I used to have a similar puzzle, although I had WMP set default for everything, actually for everything it could handle and the rest of my file types not supported by WMP were in fact assigned to other players. Lol.

It can be a file type or a streaming video's extension assigned to real player causing it to pop up. I used to have a similar puzzle, although I had WMP set default for everything, actually for everything it could handle and the rest of my file types not supported by WMP were in fact assigned to other players. Lol.

This happens at anytime. I've even tried shutting off my Wireless Network Access, and it still starts. I can't figure it out. It starts while i am using Photoshop, Word on and on. No particular program is running when it happens. Very indiscriminate.

It's something very annoying and evasive to deal with.

Auto Run

I'm going to guess and say that "Auto Run" may have something to do with the problem.

Attachments

• AutoRun.JPG
    AutoRun.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 487
  • AutoRun 2.JPG
    AutoRun 2.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 464
That's not it, either. This happens anytime. This pc can be sitting doing nothing and Real Player opens even without web access. This is something proprietary me thinks.

I'll post a screen capture when I get it installed again, and/if it continues with it's dance. I hope not. I'll post either way.

Celestra, thank you for your help and for looking.

OK, gang. I've re-installed Real Player just two minutes ago. I started it on my own and it shows exactly the window that it starts with when it starts on it's own, as I said, when nothing is going on, or when something is going on. Normally when it does this, there is no music playing in any other player or from the web. Actually, there is nothing remotely related to media playing or streaming when this happens.

I am going to disable it in msconfig, make sure nothing is related in Task Scheduler, and any other suggestions?

Here's the window it starts with when it does this.
Link Removed - Invalid URL

OK, naturally, msconfig revealed Real Player start when computer starts. I disabled that. I also removed ten items in task scheduler. I hope this is the answer.

I'll be back in a day or so if this is the solution, or as soon as it starts on it's own again, also.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ok, it appears everything is running smooth. The task scheduler solution was the fix. It had at least ten entries at really weird times. I removed all of them and things are running smoothly.

Thanks, everyone, for your help.

RealPlayer Starts By Itself

The yellow box that keeps popping-up when RealPlayer starts is RealPlayer attempting to download a needed file, and apparently due to a bug in the software this file requires administrative privileges to download. Start RealPlayer ONCE in the "Run as Administrator" mode. What is happening is that RealPlayer is repeatedly starting by itself, trying to get this file but cannot - until you start RealPlayer ONCE in the "Run as Administrator" mode. That the UAC doesn't trigger indicates that the present version of RealPlayer is not fully compatible with Windows 7 (and probably Vista as well). Case closed.

Last edited:
The yellow box that keeps popping-up when RealPlayer starts is RealPlayer attempting to download a needed file, and apparently due to a bug in the software this file requires administrative privileges to download. Start RealPlayer ONCE in the "Run as Administrator" mode. What is happening is that RealPlayer is repeatedly starting by itself, trying to get this file but cannot - until you start RealPlayer ONCE in the "Run as Administrator" mode. That the UAC doesn't trigger indicates that the present version of RealPlayer is not fully compatible with Windows 7 (and probably Vista as well). Case closed.

I am aware of all you have stated. There has never been a yellow window. Perhaps you should read my OP. Clearing all scheduled tasks, which I have no clue how they were "scheduled" relating to Real Player alleviated the problem. Thanks for your suggestion. Now the case is closed. Thanks for looking. :rolleyes:

Good Idea

OK, naturally, msconfig revealed Real Player start when computer starts. I disabled that. I also removed ten items in task scheduler. I hope this is the answer.

I'll be back in a day or so if this is the solution, or as soon as it starts on it's own again, also.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Good Idea.... If this doesn't work, use another software.

Good Idea.... If this doesn't work, use another software.

I do use other software, JetAudio to be specific, although it does not play online music that I really like, which is why I use Real Player. I have found the cause of the problem, as I stated. It was in the task scheduler console. I don't know why there were scheduled tasks, although I would certainly guess that it would be related to Real wanting to sell a premium subscription and they were set at installation. For my use, a premium subscription would bring no benefits that I do not already enjoy.

I have resorted to using the online URL for most of what I listen to as I work, although, in some cases, online feeds can't be played without the player. There are always some sort of work-arounds for what-ever one wants.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

You can close this thread if you please. I have solved my problem, and so anyone experiencing the same "problem" can use this thread as a solution.
:)

Realplayer Opens by itself

I am aware of all you have stated. There has never been a yellow window. Perhaps you should read my OP. Clearing all scheduled tasks, which I have no clue how they were "scheduled" relating to Real Player alleviated the problem. Thanks for your suggestion. Now the case is closed. Thanks for looking. :rolleyes:

I respectfully beg to differ with you but there are reports of the yellow window appearing just before RealPlayer automatically opens.

"Eric New update bugs on my computer (vista). After installing the next version 12.0.0641, a new update (always the same) appears in "chek for update" (12.0.0.642). When I run it, a window tells me that I Have a the same version or un earlier one. I tried everything : to download it again and again, to uninstall properly the previous one, etc...
I still get in "check for update" the 12.0.0.642 one, and it never seems to really work.
Also, every time I open Realplayer SP, a window with yellow color appear, telling me that there is a download of Realplayer SP, the download bar freeze (and seems to download nothing...) and then the realplayer open (with some bugs sometimes - shut down the program). Other thing, when I go on a site that use realplayer plugin (like real.com) a window of security from vista appears telling me "this program (realsched.exe) try to open out of safe mode). Either I click no or yes, the page freeze and have a bug report from internet explorer.
Could you please tell me where is the problem, it seems as the download of reaplayer SP is corrupt or not ended ? Is there anybody who encouter this issue ?
March 19 at 11:11am"

Source: Realplayer starts by itself | Facebook

Sorry, but that's what's been happening. Incidentally, following a download from Youtube, the yellow window appeared briefly as well. Apparently Realplayer has been snitching on itself, but with the fix at least we won't be bothered every time Realplayer "phones home."

Last edited:
Back