Windows Vista Recently slow internet on vista

brob

Hi all,

I know this may have been done to death, but I've searched and tried all I can and now I'm stuck.

I've had vista for around 10 months and never really had a problem with the internet but in the last week I've noticed it is running really slowly. No explaination it just runs slow, really slow. I have AVG, stopped running that, I've rolled back recent windows updates, I've done a system restore to last week. My network card has a greyed out rollback button so can't do that.

Also I've ran some speed tests and I get around 250k download and a 690k upload which again is strange, but I've ran the same test on a eeePC running linux and a laptop running XP and get 1mb download with a 690k upload.

Any advice, please it has become unworkable and as a web developer I really need it.

Thanks guys

Hi thanks for the reply I have tried all of this previously and doesn't seem to have an effect with it. Any other advice.

Hi brob,
apart from the obvious like checking with an anti-spyware utility like Adaware I'm not sure what else you could do.. The net is faster at different times of the day, have you tried it at different times? Also are you using any download managers ect? Check to see of your router as any firmware updates, I know mine gets them periodicaly so it's worth a look..

slow light to speed up Internet

'Slow' light to speed up the net, BBC NEWS | Technology | 'Slow' light to speed up the net

This article is about slowing down light so the Internet can be speeded up. I did not understant it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Figure 3-10A. - Waveguide lens, HORN RADIATORS, Horn radiators

I looked at this hoping to understnad better. I found the “WAVEGUIDE-TYPE LENSâ€Â￾ interesting. I could see that it would only work right if the “spiracle wavefrontâ€Â￾ was shaped right. I suppose the lens would be ground to fit the wavefront.
Prism (optics), Link Removed due to 404 Error)

I looked at this hoping to see how to make some light slow down more than other light. It looks here like you have to stand back from the prism to allow the rays to spread out, so you can “cathâ€Â￾ them in their various “channelsâ€Â￾ spread out.
Image:Light dispersion conceptual waves.gif, Image:Light dispersion conceptual waves.gif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here the animation shows that the purple light travels a bit further than the red light. You have to look close, but you can see that the red light overtakes (outruns) the purple light. Then as they continue beyond the prism they are spread further and further.

Image:Light dispersion conceptual.gif, Image:Light dispersion conceptual.gif - Wikimedia Commons
Here you can see a white ball of white light (purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, red) strike the prism. Immediately the colors are separated, with the red shooting out ahead of the pack. The different photons travel over 2/3s of the way across the prism before you can really see that they begin to match up the same way they were originally sent. They strike to back surface of the prism at almost the same time.

Now at this point, I suppose we need a waveguide lense to catch the “spiracle wavefrontâ€Â￾ and convert it into a “plane wavefront.â€Â￾
All this could put a new twist on "modal dispersion." Ordinarily, if there is too much overlap, the signal could be unreadable. The animation above clearly depicts that an overlap of several wavelengths can be reversed.
BACKGROUND AND SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION, Link Removed due to 404 Error

The use of multimode fiber implies a limited data rate due to modal dispersion. I have tried to find an article that links encryption to modal dispersion, but I have not found one. But, it seems like this could be done. The extent of modal dispersion could be enhanced on purpose to confuse any eavesdropper.

Instead of having a limited cable length of one kilometer, you could have it a hundred miles long, as long as the signal was strong enough.

I see other articles that discuss “modal dispersionâ€Â￾ and “encryptionâ€Â￾ together, but I do not see encrypton based on modal dispersion.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Back