Windows 10 Recieving an error 0x004e016 using windows 8.1 key

Eladzmr

Hi,
I have an original windows 8.1 retail license.
After installing windows 10 (a new install, not an upgrade) using windows 10 download tool.

During the installation I tried to enter the original windows 8.1 key but received an invalid key message.
I pressed on "skip" and tried to enter the key after the installation was completed (no issues, the installation was very smooth and easy except the key issue) but still wasn't able to enter a my valid key and received an error 0x004e016.

Can't understand why or how.

Will appreciate very much any help you care to offer me in order to solve this issue.
Thanks.

Before you do a clean install you have to upgrade it first from 8.1 to Windows 10. Once you do that then you can do a clean install. You can bypass the key. Just skip the first time it shows and not now on the second time. You should be activated in 10.

Hi,
I have an original windows 8.1 retail license.
After installing windows 10 (a new install, not an upgrade) using windows 10 download tool.

During the installation I tried to enter the original windows 8.1 key but received an invalid key message.
I pressed on "skip" and tried to enter the key after the installation was completed (no issues, the installation was very smooth and easy except the key issue) but still wasn't able to enter a my valid key and received an error 0x004e016.

Can't understand why or how.

Will appreciate very much any help you care to offer me in order to solve this issue.
Thanks.

The way Windows activates has now changed somewhat. Sonny's right that you first need to upgrade from 8.1 to win 10. As long as your 8.1 install was genuine and activated then the win 10 set up will check your status of activation online. If all is ok then release a certificate for win 10 which is stored in the same location as your other activation details. Once this is done you can then perform a clean install of win 10 without having to input any key.
Windows 10 Activation explained..

Basically yes... If you want a free copy of win 10 that is..

Back