Windows 8 Recovery Screen pops up on Boot(WIN8)

Caleb Hammer

When I power on my computer (toshibba satellite) it comes to a screen that says RECOVERY: you need to use installation media. And I never thought of it to make a recovery disks. It is windows 8 and only a year old. Windows 8 actually cost more than this computer. Both toshiba and windows didn't know what it was doing. The screen has three options Press Enter for restart(tried it) Press F8 for boot options(didnt work) Press (I forget) for UEDI menu. (Something like that) I really need this computer because I edit videos and clips. I have a backup which is running windows xp but it's outdated and can't get Sony Vegas for it. I think on my broken computer a virus deleted my operating system. Plz answer what I should do to fix it.

Hi

If nothing else works...

If you have data on the computer that you need to retrieve you can probably access it using a Ubuntu OS disk.

It will let you copy the data to an external hard drive or DVDs.

You can download the ISO file from...

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

You will need to burn the ISO to a DVD using Imgburn...

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

A Ubuntu disk is a handy thing to have around, mine has booted every computer I've ever tried it on, from Windows XP to 8.

Once your data is secure you can safely go ahead...

The Toshiba Satellite should have a restore partition that will set the computer back to it's original configuration.
I copied this from the Toshiba website.

THROUGH F12 AT STARTUP
To access the System Restore, Refresh and Reset options using the F12 option at startup, perform the following:
  1. If not already, ensure the computer is completely shut down.
  2. Now restart the computer by pressing the power button - IMMEDIATELY start tapping the F12 key on the keyboard until the "Boot Menu" screen appears.
  3. Using the arrow keys, select <HDD Recovery> and press "Enter".
  4. On the next screen, you are asked to confirm if you want to continue with recovery. Select "Yes".
  5. The computer will bring you to the Advanced startup screen.
  6. Select Troubleshoot. Under Troubleshoot you will see “Refresh” and “Reset”.
  7. Select “Advanced options.” Located here is "System Restore."
Hope this helps.

There seems to be several different ways of doing this depending on the model you may want to check and see what it says for your specific laptop.

Mike

Last edited:
What happens if you select the Boot to UEFI option? If you can get into the bios and check the boot order to make sure the Windows Boot Manager is still showing as primary. If it kicks you back into the bios or even gives that message, possibly something about the Windows 8 Secure boot is having problems.

Have you made any changes to the system or the bios you know of?

Something like resetting the bios to its default values might help, but really hard to say since I have not seen such a set of options on boot.

Back