Windows 8 Reinstalling Windows 8.1 Pro help needed

brkkab

Excellent Member
I just got a bigger Intel 530 Series 480GB ssd today. I'm reinstalling Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center x64 on it tomorrow morning after I update it's firmware. I need help, as I can't remember where on my Windows 8 Pro x64 dvd-rom on where the .NET Framework 3.5 installation files are located at.. I need .NET Framework 3.5, so I can get my various game addons from Games For Windows Live, so I can use them with my games in Steam. I did this before, but it was over a year ago and I can't remember where .NET Framework 3.5's installation file's are located on the Windows 8 dvd-rom. I'm removing my old OCZ Vertex 3 128GB. Max IOPs ssd and putting Windows 10 TP on my Samsung 840 Pro 256GB. ssd after I have 8.1, games and programs on the new Intel 530 Series 480GB. ssd.

No, I really need to do a clean install. I've had a issue in my current install of Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center x64 since the summer, when I lost my old internet connection. After I got my current internet service in my name, the settings menu doesn't open. I figure the clean install, which I put off doing, as I knew I was getting a bigger ssd down the road, would fix that issue. I know how to use shift/restart to get into it, but I'd rather just do the clean install of everything on the new bigger sd. I already deauthorized and uninstalled my Origin & Steam games and the games folder I made in C:\Program Files (x86) pointing to my 120GB. OCZ Vertex.All, I really have left to do before the clean install, is to download the current version of Steam. Everything else, I have the updated installer's for, including my driver's.Then after I have W 8.1 Pro w/Media Center, my games, drivers, programs on the new Intel ssd, I'm gonna let Samsung Magician erase everything on my 840 Pro 256GB. ssd, before installing Windows 10 TP on it. I'm not really going to install that much in Windows 10. I'm more interested in just getting used to the changes in 10 compared to 8.1. I'm probably going to put one of my old WD Cavai Black 1.0TB's back in for 10's personal files. I'm not installing all my desktop software in 10, though. I'm only going to try a few of them in 10 for now.

I can't remember where .NET Framework 3.5's installation file's are located on the Windows 8 dvd-rom

They should be in the "sxs" folder which is in the "sources" folder...

Screenshot (317).png

**SOLVED**Got everything fixed with the clean install on the new ssd. Games For Windows Live even works for getting my old game addons for my games that I now have in Steam. Settings no longer crashes after opening. Now, I just have to finish installing everything. My games pretty much took roughly 10 hours, thanks to the huge Titanfall and it's addons through Origin. Doing WMP now, WMC is next, then the rest of my programs. I got most of what I could with Ninite, as far as 7-zip, Adobe, Chrome, Silverlight, Java, SumatraPDF and Firefox.

Did my clean install last month and got my GFWL games going in Steam. I then wound up in the hospital for a few weeks. While I was in the hospital, I realized a dumb mistake I forgot about. I originally forgot to go the EFI route on my clean install, so Secure Boot didn't work. I did a 2nd clean install to fix that one. I then found out something interesting. Apparently you can't have 2 different versions of Windows on 2 different ssd's and use Secure Boot on both. I made my flash drive bootable using the Windows 10 Pro TP 9926 x64 iso, using Microsoft's Windows 7 USB/DVD Tool. When I boot from it, I get no EFI options in my UEFI for any flash drives made with Microsoft's Tool.

Use "rufus", it does both UEFI and legacy BIOS. MS's attempt at a bootable USB drive is a joke...it only works half the time if that at all....others swear by it. I've always use "Rufus" and never had a single problem....used MS POS and then the issues started.

Thanks, I'll try that out bassfisher. I found a few gripes I have with 10 that I hope they fix in the final version.The start menu needs to have the pre-9926 options for aading Control Panel, etc. to it. They also need to make it, so you can make it taller if you have a bigger monitor. They need to kill off the Music/Videos app's and update/add the stores to WMP & WMC. Other than that, I like it.

Making the Windows 10 Pro TP 9926 flash drive with Rufus now. It's seriously slow at doing it. It's been over a hour now and it still has a lot left to finish.

Really.....that's the first I've head of that. When I create a bootable USB drive with Rufus, it only takes a matter of minutes for me...and my hardware is ancient.

What steps did you follow to create yours?

I was using the option to check for bad blocks. I stopped it and unchecked it and it was done in a few minutes. However, it was a waste of time. I still got my same previous results.

Finally got SecureBoot in 10 going. I redid the flash drive with Rufus. 1st time around, I didn't realize, I had to choose GPT and Fat32. I originally just went with Rufus's defaulta. Changed the setting to GPT and Fat32 and EFI/SecureBoot install worked.

Turn's out my new Intel 530 Series 480GB ssd is almost 100mbps. slower than the Samsung 840 Pro 256gb. ssd is. If I enable RapidMode in Samsung Magician, it get's double the speed of what the Intel 530 is getting. I definitely think Samsung Magician is superior to Intel's Toolbox, as far as feature's go.

Back