Windows 8 Reinstalling Windows 8.1

ShoobieStomper

Honorable Member
Hey, guys! I have a restored my PC a few times using the, "Remove everything and reinstall Windows option," but I want to just reinstall Windows without all of the bloatware junk that it came with. I plan on creating an ISO image and then installing it via USB and then I will go to this page to download the drivers that I need (I'm actually not sure what all I will need).

http://www.asus.com/us/Desktops/M11BB/HelpDesk_Download/

Anyway, I just have a few questions.

1) Will it be current if I download it from here, or will I have to install a bunch of updates?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

2) Will I have to install things like AMD Catalyst™ Software? I'm sure that I will have to, but I have never used this method to restore a PC before and I'm curious.

3) Should I leave my recovery partition intact? I was thinking about trying to install the ISO image to it, but that may be a bad idea.

I apologize for the long post, but thanks for your help in advance... it's always appreciated! :)

- Alex

1) Will it be current if I download it from here, or will I have to install a bunch of updates?

Yes... there may be some patches still but no where near as many.

2) Will I have to install things like AMD Catalyst™ Software?

Yes... If you just use an image software like Acronis true image then any software installed before the image will also be installed after but you are talking about a fresh windows boot so there will only be windows on it.

3) Should I leave my recovery partition intact?

Yes... if you ever decide to sell this computer on then that drive allows you to reset it, ready for the next person.

p.s. imo you are best to get a new hdd and replace the old one before format... put the old drive in a desk as your back up. This allows you to use the entire drive without fear because you could always put the old drive back in any time the "you know what" hits the fan.

Yes... there may be some patches still but no where near as many.

That's good to know! It will probably have less than my recovery partition.

Yes... If you just use an image software like Acronis true image then any software installed before the image will also be installed after but you are talking about a fresh windows boot so there will only be windows on it.

Yeah, I am talking about a fresh install... I want all of the junk gone. Lol :)

Yes... if you ever decide to sell this computer on then that drive allows you to reset it, ready for the next person.

p.s. imo you are best to get a new hdd and replace the old one before format... put the old drive in a desk as your back up. This allows you to use the entire drive without fear because you could always put the old drive back in any time the "you know what" hits the fan.

That's probably a good idea, but I think I may just have to use my current drive for now since I just bought a new GPU. Haha :)

It should be fine as long as I leave the recovery partition alone, though. Right?

Back
Top Bottom