Windows 7 Remote Desktop Connection can't connect on LAN - both are Windows 7 machines

derning

Hi guys, thanks in advance for any help you could provide.

I have two Windows 7 machines, a laptop and a desktop.
• Both have Remote Desktop Connection enabled.
• Both have "Enable connections from any version of remote desktop" turned on.
• Both are connected via ethernet LAN to the same router.

When they try to connect to each other via RDC:
• DESKTOP can rdc into LAPTOP without a problem.
• LAPTOP cannot rdc into DESKTOP.

I have tried using the DESKTOP computer's name, and then I tried the IP address as well.

Below is a screenshot of the error message I get. Any ideas what I should try next?

rdc error 01.png

There are inbound rules within the windows firewall which govern Remote Desktop, so for the time being disable the windows firewall and uninstall any third party firewall applications and/or third party antivirus / internet security suites from the Desktop for debugging, you can always reinstall them later. Are both machines running Windows 7 Pro, Enterprise or Ultimate? Can you ping the desktop from the laptop by both IP and HostName?

Thanks, Trouble.

All machines are running Windows 7 Ultimate. All machines can ping each other, no problem.

Per your suggestion, I've checked the inbound rules for Remote Desktop Connection. I see one private profile and one public profile. They are both enabled and set to "allow the connection." I also disabled the firewall, the antivirus, etc.

Still the same problem.

Here's another clue that might help narrow things down. I also tested it with other Windows 7 Ultimate client machines on the network. All the other machines can RDC to each other, no problem. The DESKTOP machine can RDC into all the other machines, no problem. But none of the others can RDC to the DESKTOP machine.

What do you think? What should I try next?

Last edited:
It's a long shot but make sure you or perhaps someone else hasn't changed the default listening port from 3389.
Type regedit into the search box and hit enter
Drill down to the following key in the left colum
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp
in the right column
scroll down as necessary and locate the value for PortNumber
make sure it is 3389 see attachment.

Dude, you're brilliant! The port number was changed. Probably back when I was tinkering around trying to get multiple computers accessible via separate dynamic dns addresses.

I changed the listening port back to 3389. Gonna reboot now. Oh man, I'm so excited.

I'll report back in a few!

OK, well it's been "a few".
Hope everything worked out and your problem is resolved. If you can update your thread with a follow up, it would be appreciated.
In any event, a belated welcome to the forums and we hope to continue to see you around.
Best Wishes
Randy

BOOYAH! It worked.

You are a supreme jedi master, and I bow down to your awesome powers, oh exalted one.

Seriously, thank you so much for your help!

... and thank you for the warm welcome. I'll be peeking in here as well to see if there's anything I can help some other members with.

Have a great weekend, Randy.

Oh Oh, now you've gone and done it. Next people will be asking that I help them retrieve their space vehicles from swamps and help them blow up Death Stars.
"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
I'll be peeking in here as well to see if there's anything I can help some other members with.
Yes, please. All participation and offers of help are gladly accepted here.

Last edited:
Back