Windows 7 Remote Desktop Protocol Error

When i am remote desktoping to one of our terminal servers from windows 7 and then shadowing a users session as soon as i connect to the users session via Terminal Services Manager I get the following error:

'Because of a protocol error, this session will be disconnected. please try connecting to the remote computer again.'

It appears to be a problem with windows 7 remote desktop, as i also have XP and Vista machines which i do the same on but they work fine!

Any Ideas????

Error Message using TS

hi
I am having the same problem when conecting to my clients sessions. Did you find the solution.
It has only happened since i installed W7

Thanks
Philip

Yes i did find a solution See below:

Problem is the mstscax.dll and mstsc.exe in the system 32 folder and the other two files in the en-US or your language folder.

If you find these files on a working vista pc and copy them onto your windows 7 pc into the same folders they are on the vista machine, it should work!

If you dont have access to a working vista machine, post your email address and i will email you the files.

Cheers
AJ.

I am having this problem and cannot get access to those files. Can you email them to me? garfieldatdq, the @ sign, hotmail dot com.

Thanks

Success!!

Hi
Thanks AndrewLJones2000, your solution worked perfectly and I now have complete access to users sessions.

The instructions to be able to replace the old files are as follows: (Always create a restore point before doing this)

Windows security needs a little massaging to allow you to modify the original file, found in C:\Windows\System32, so....
1.Click Start, then type "cmd" in the search box & hit enter. This will launch the Command prompt
2.Type the following & hit enter: takeown /f C:\Windows\System32\FILENAME
3.Then type this & hit enter (NOTE: Replace USERNAME with YOUR USERNAME!! If your name has a space in it, enclose it with quotes, like "Mike Garcen")
cacls C:\Windows\System32\FILENAME /G USERNAME:F
4.Then go to your Windows Explorer, and go to C:\Windows\System32 and C:\Windows\System32\en-us
5.Rename the original FILENAMES to something else, like "FILENAME.ORIGINAL", just in case
6.*NOTE* If you are unable to do the above, try rebooting into SAFE MODE
7.Then copy & paste the FILEs you downloaded in Step 1 into the appropriate folders
8.And voila!

Files to fix for Terminal Server Workstation logon
C:\Windows\System32\mstc.exe
C:\Windows\System32\mstscax.dll
C:\Windows\System32\en-US\mstc.exe
C:\Windows\System32\en-US\mstscax.dll

Hi
Thanks AndrewLJones2000, your solution worked perfectly and I now have complete access to users sessions.

The instructions to be able to replace the old files are as follows: (Always create a restore point before doing this)

Windows security needs a little massaging to allow you to modify the original file, found in C:\Windows\System32, so....
1.Click Start, then type "cmd" in the search box & hit enter. This will launch the Command prompt
2.Type the following & hit enter: takeown /f C:\Windows\System32\FILENAME
3.Then type this & hit enter (NOTE: Replace USERNAME with YOUR USERNAME!! If your name has a space in it, enclose it with quotes, like "Mike Garcen")
cacls C:\Windows\System32\FILENAME /G USERNAME:F
4.Then go to your Windows Explorer, and go to C:\Windows\System32 and C:\Windows\System32\en-us
5.Rename the original FILENAMES to something else, like "FILENAME.ORIGINAL", just in case
6.*NOTE* If you are unable to do the above, try rebooting into SAFE MODE
7.Then copy & paste the FILEs you downloaded in Step 1 into the appropriate folders
8.And voila!

Files to fix for Terminal Server Workstation logon
C:\Windows\System32\mstc.exe
C:\Windows\System32\mstscax.dll
C:\Windows\System32\en-US\mstc.exe
C:\Windows\System32\en-US\mstscax.dll
Hello
Could you please send those visa files,

I am waiting for it.

My id :[email protected]

I was able to fix this problem exactly as described with my 32 bit systems however... I am now running a 64 bit version of Windows 7 Enterprise and this fix is not working. Has anyone been able to get around this?

any idea if Microsoft is working on it?

Aw, crap. The fix doesn't work for x64? I'm running 64 bit too. :((

The weird thing is, my PC lets me remote into it SOMETIMES. For some reason, restarting it seems to help. o_O I really don't know what to do about this issue because it's so vague. :\

From what I've been reading online, there is 2 places where Windows 7 stores and pulls it's executable files from. C:\Windows\system32 and C:\Windows sysWOW64.

sysWOW64 (Windows 32bit On Windows 64bit) is where the 32 files are found. Whereas system32 is where the 64 bit files are. I have tried to take ownership of the files in both and copy files from a 32bit Vista system, but I think that I may need to get the 4 files from a 64bit Vista install.

If ANYONE has any thoughts or insight on this, please help. I am stuck right now having broken Remote Desktop altogether.

I am experiencing the same problem with on the opposite end. I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64) machine that people connect to through RDP. Whenever I remotely view a user session upon me leaving the remote control mode it disconnects the user with the generic Remote Desktop Connection Protocol Error. Is the solution the same? To replace the files for remote desktop?

Hi - having the same error with Win 7 clients trying to remotely control RD sessions on 2008 R2. I don't associate with anyone using Vista - can you please forward the files to me? ([email protected])
Thanks....

Last edited:
Back