Windows 7 remove Recent folder from Windows Explorer

joro

I never use the Recent folder that appears in Windows Explorer. I've removed other system folders, but how to remove the Recent folder seems to be a mystery.

Please note: I'm not asking how to remove items from Recent folder. Rather, I want to delete the folder so it doesn't appear at all in Windows Explorer.

Has anyone found a way to accomplish this?

I am working with Windows 8.1 environment, So I haven’t tried this method personally in the environment of Windows 7

I am working with Windows 8.1 environment, So I haven’t tried this method personally in the environment of Windows 7

Thank you.
Unfortunately, the OP is running a Win 7 computer.
Your method is not applicable and it does not address the issue of removing Recent folder.

Last edited:
davidhk129: Unfortunately, my version of Win7 Ultimate doesn't show a remove option when Recent is right-clicked,

Gavin Oscur: Although I'm using Win7, I looked to see if your 8.1 fix might work. But that link didn't show
the key for the Recent folder.

Thanks for trying to help, but I'm still looking for a solution.

davidhk129: Unfortunately, my version of Win7 Ultimate doesn't show a remove option when Recent is right-clicked,

Gavin Oscur: Although I'm using Win7, I looked to see if your 8.1 fix might work. But that link didn't show
the key for the Recent folder.

Thanks for trying to help, but I'm still looking for a solution.

Just wonder......
Do you also have a Recent Places icon on your desktop screen ?

My apology.
I use win 7 Home Premium and I could right click at Recent Places > click Remove.
I had no idea Ultimate does not have Remove option........ very strange.

Here is a tutorial which will prevent all users or specific user from turning on and see the recent items.
The tutorial does not "remove" Recent Places folder, but it's the next best thing.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/104503-recent-items-enable-disable.html
Option One is for all Win 7 versions.
Option Two is for Ultimate or higher versions.

That's the best I can do for you, for now.

I have never seen an icon on the desktop nor a folder in Explorer named 'Recent Places'.

The folder I want to remove is called 'Recent' and only shows in Windows Explorer.

I went to the tutorial you gave the link to, but on my system, in AppData/Roaming/Microsoft there is no item that includes the string 'Recent'.

I tried the registry edit download (Option One) first, but it didn't remove the folder in Windows Explorer after shutdown and a cold boot.

I got the AppData/Roaming... suggestion from another link that was posted to help me solve this, but there was no such entry there.

Back