Windows 7 Repeated STOP:0X00000124 errors

CDoc

I'm getting this error repeatedly right now. System will run for anywhere upto an hour before BSOD or just a crash and reboot. I was reading a magazine about an hour ago with the computer on and watched as the thing crashed and rebooted 4 times in 30 minutes. I'm at my wits end with this.

Was happening with vista too which is why i downloaded the RC for Win 7 after doing a vista reinstall and everything else i could think of to solve the problem.

I installed RC about 3 weeks ago with no problems for about a day then it'd happen once a day or so now though it's happening a couple of times an hour.

Thinking it was a graphics card problem i updated my drivers but no luck, then switched out my ATi Radeon HD4650 for a Radeon X1650 but no change, just worse graphics on WoW.

Can someone please tell me first what STOP:0X00000124 errors are and how to actually diagnose them or even better how to fix them

Here's the details i get offered on the latest crash after reboot. Thanks. :(

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7100.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 00000000
BCP2: 8656A024
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_1_7100
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\083009-15484-01.dmp
C:\Users\charlie\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-23921-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
Windows 7 Privacy Highlights - Microsoft Windows

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

I may be able to help. I had this exact problem a few months ago. I remember having to look for that error code online with no true help. If you could provide your system specs that would be helpful. Also include any add on cards and anything which uses a PCI or USB port that stays plugged in.

My guess is its a hardware driver incompatible with Windows 7. Most stop screen or BSOD errors result from a driver that doesn't work well with Windows.

Hi, thanks for replying.

I've solved the problem i was havingbefore i saw your messages, here's how :)

I tried to reinstall windows 7 Sunday afternoon so that i would atleast return my system to the state it was when i was getting the error once every couple of days but during installation i'd get the same stop error so it obviously wasn't a driver problem as windows 7 formats the partition before installation, plus it didnt happen during the first installation a few weeks ago.
I tried again, and again, and again with many different hard drives, until finally it installed and loaded up the desktop on one i'd previously tried. That lasted 30 seconds before BSOD 0x124 error and on reboot after the error my desktop had become impossible to live with. Everything was just wrong and on the start menu the only thing available to select was the windows memory diagnostic tool, clicking on anything else such as Computer or Control Panel brought up an error message saying i didnt have the required permissions. lol. Only thing it was good for was telling me the time.

This was when i remembered a stop error (i forget the code) which had something to do with either an overheated CPU, motherboard problem or faulty hard disc. As i new it wasn't a faulty hard drive (i'd tried 5 of them, SATA and PATA) and probably wasn't an overheating CPU because Core Tmp said it was fine and it isn't overclocked or anything, i decided it had to be the motherboard. This after testing all memory sticks, GPU's, PCI cards and billions of different drivers.

So i ordered a Biostar TPower I45 which gets delivered on Wednesday but i got impatient today with nothing to do and went to the local computer store and picked up a cheap one to use until then and i've had no problems whatsoever.

So there it is, a faulty motherboard.

Hope this topic helps someone, somewhere in the future.

I must agree. You jogged my memory on this one. I indeed had the same exact problem with the same solution. I tried everything on my new MOBO up to re-pasting all the heatsink bottoms and CPU HSF. Well, I made a mistake and accidently fried my NB chip. Luckily, it was still under warranty so I had it RMA'd by ASRock. I sent it in and they sent me a brand new replacement after determining that my old one was faulty. After I got my new MOBO, I flawlessly installed Windows 7 RC! This post should be flagged in the hardware section as well. By the way, I tried 3 different RAM sticks, 2 SATA hard drives and alot of other diagnostic ideas before I succeeded.

Has anyone tried in win 7 changing the power option to high performance from the start bar? it solved my BSOD code 124. click on the window button. type Power option in the search bar and click Power ortions. change power option from (i.e factory) Balacned to High Preformance.

Back
Top Bottom