Windows 7 Replacing invalid security id with default security id...

vinhcit

Hi forum,

I hope you're having a good day. Please help me with this situation of mine.

Summary: The system requires chkdsk for the 2 mechanical hard drives in RAID-1. The disk check has returned lots of "Replacing invalid security id with default security id for file" ... Why is this happening and should I be concerned?

Details: My hard drive setup is 1 SSD (Corsair P128) and 2 RAID-1 mechanical drives. Previously, in my BIOS, the SATA mode was RAID. Then my Windows 7 x64 Pro on the SSD got corrupted. I tried fixing it but I wasn't successful so I decided on a re-installation.
I updated the SSD's firmware which wiped the SSD cleaned. In order to do this, I had to set my BIOS SATA mode to IDE. Then I installed Windows 7 x64 Professional to it. Then I changed my SATA mode to AHCI (this is recommended by Corsair). I booted normally into Windows several times. My RAIDed data seemed to be there, intact.
Then, following an advice on the Corsair forum, I relocated the user variables and system variables to my RAIDed disks. These settings can be accessed using: Control Panel >> System Security >> System >> Advanced System Settings (on the left panel) >> Advanced tab >> Environmental Variables... Specifically, I changed the user variables TEMP and TMP from their default values to D:\Temp\ (D being the letter assigned to the RAIDed configuration). I also changed the system variables TEMP and TMP from their default values to D:\Temp\. The Corsair guide also recommended relocation of the page file but I didn't do that step. The guide can be found here:
Windows 7 Tips & Tweaks - The Corsair Support Forums
After this change, I restarted my system several times while installing drivers. Everything seemed normal. Then I installed Intel RAID Manager. The installation required me to restart so I did. After the first restart, I logged into Windows and I was asked to restart again. During this 2nd restart, the system asked for chkdsk for the RAIDed disks and I authorized it. I didn't look at this disk checking and went I returned the system already booted into Windows. I logged in, and tried to access a folder on D (again D is the letter for my RAID 1). I was told I need to give a permanent authorization in order to access the folder. I did that and was able to get in the folder. I didn't try to access any subfolder or any file. In fact, I just restarted the system. After this 3rd restart, the system asked me for another chkdsk on the RAIDed disks. This time I watched the process and it's been returning "Replacing Invalid Security Id with Default Security Id for file" n, n+1, n+2, ... It's been doing this for more than an hour now.

Why is the situation happening? Is there something wrong with my physical hard drives or my Windows? If so, what should I do?

Thanks a lot.

UPDATE: After a while (~2 hours), the chkdsk finished. I was able to log in to my account. But I had to give permission to gain access to folders in drive D. After the permissions, the subfolders and files seemed present and accessible. I was able to listen to some mp3s and watched some picture slide show. Nonetheless, everytime I right clicked the drive D and chose Properties, I get the following message:

The Recycle Bin on drive D:\ is corrupted. Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive?

I'm afraid to restart my machine again. Something not normal is going on. I'm backing up my data to another drive. As in, I'm manually Ctrl C , Ctrl V my data to a USB drive. I dont' know if it's too late, as Windows has probably corrupted all of my files on this drive.I don't know what my next move after backing up should be. Please help! :frown:

Don't really know what might be wrong, but are you overclocking?

Do you have to use AHCI for the drive controller, and what did you do to get that to work after you installed the OS?

Are you loading or have you tried loading specific drivers during the install for Raid or AHCI using the Install Drivers Button?

Are the RAID drives on a separate controller from the SSD?

Don't really know what might be wrong, but are you overclocking?

Do you have to use AHCI for the drive controller, and what did you do to get that to work after you installed the OS?

Are you loading or have you tried loading specific drivers during the install for Raid or AHCI using the Install Drivers Button?

Are the RAID drives on a separate controller from the SSD?

Thanks for replying. I'll answer to the best of my knowledge.

1. I'm not overclocking anything.
2. I used to have RAID for my Intel SATA controller. Then I wanted to update my SSD firmware. The firmware updater didn't let me update while in RAID mode. So I switched to IDE, which was recommended by Samsung, the writer of the firmware. The update was successful. Then I changed the SATA mode to AHCI before installing the OS. But I could also have installed the OS first then changed the SATA mode to AHCI. I'm sorry but I can't remember exactly which.
3. Not sure what you are asking. Please clarify for this noob.
4. The 2 RAIDed disks and the SSD are on the same Intel controller. There is also a JMicron controller on the board. Only one of my optical drives is connected to it.

So, I backed up the data on the RAIDed disks. I deleted the Recycle Bin on the RAIDed disks and that stopped the corrupted recyclin bin error message. Then, I tried changing the SATA mode to RAID. The system BSODed immediately after the logo screen. Ran System Repair. I think it restored my system to right before the installation of Intel Raid Manager. But the BSODed persisted. So I changed the SATA mode back AHCI and system booted normally into Windows (Intel Raid Manager was gone). I can access all the data on the RAIDed disks but I'm still seeing the lock symbol next to each folder in D:\. The subfolders and the files don't have the lock symbols. Things seem 'normal' for now. I've been installing more drivers.

I don't really know what's going on or what's been causing all the weird behaviors. I don't know if/when my system will fail me again. I don't know what I should do next. I need this machine to be stable so I can focus on the school work. I guess for now I'm still setting it up and save my personal files elsewhere.

Looking forward to your reply. Or any input from anybody else. Thank you all for your time.

Most folks that run RAID have to load those drivers during the install with the Add Drivers button. If you have installed before with a RAID setup, you may have needed to use the F6 key to add the drivers.

Since I don't run RAID, I may be completely off base. But if I was going to run a RAID, I would put the 2 drives on my 2 JMicron Sata Connectors. I could then set that controller for RAID and run the other one however I liked. Currently I am using my JMicron controller for an eSATA drive.

I suppose my concern would be running a normal drive and RAID off the same controller. It may be done all the time, I just have no experience.

For all I know this might not be possible, but at least it will keep you busy for a while . :)

Back