Windows 7 Restore Default Right Click Menu?

Cam493

A while back, I used a tweaking system to change the options that would appear if I right-clicked a file. I tried restoring the setting using the exact tweaking program, but it didn't work. I want the old menu back, since the one I have no looks so...nasty. Here's what I mean.

Good Right-Click Menu:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Bad Right-Click Menu:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Good Right-Click Menu:

That's the default when you right-click on the desktop only,

Bad Right-Click Menu:

that's you current default when right-clicking on a directory or file. (in which case you must be choosing a graphic file.)

All those settings are in the registry under the ContextMenuHandlers and/or Shellex keys.

Re-install the program you originally used to remove them or simply open the program looking for Options, context menu entries.

This really doesn't help at all. There isn't an "Options Menu" feature. It's just buttons that say "Apply" and "Restore".

What is the name of the program that your using to modify the context menu?

What I'm saying is to locate the program that placed open with text Editor'
open with Hex editor
Open with Generic Editor
calculate Hash values

I'm assuming this is some type of hex editing program like Winhex, correct?

If Windows Picture Viewer is you default graphic viewer you cannot remove Preview, set as background, rotate, etc

If this just occurred, can you go back and do a restore to an earlier time to bring back the default menu?

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the name of the program that your using to modify the context menu?

What I'm saying is to locate the program that placed open with text Editor'
open with Hex editor
Open with Generic Editor
calculate Hash values

I'm assuming this is some type of hex editing program like Winhex, correct?

If Windows Picture Viewer is you default graphic viewer you cannot remove Preview, set as background, rotate, etc

If this just occurred, can you go back and do a restore to an earlier time to bring back the default menu?

I'm using "Windows 7 Power Tool v2.3".

I can only say.....Your in trouble.

These new "tweaking" programs for Windows 7 are not ready for prime time.

I tried a couple myself and found they contained more restrictions than customizations, no backup features and no tool tips even describing the tweak.

Hope this program created a restore point during install.

i would suggest you use it

If you are even going to try any of these tweaking programs, create a new account to mess with. Do not destory you existing account.

You can lock yourself completely out of Windows if you choose the wrong options.

Sure, you could if you are a very experienced user.

First, tell me what type of file you right-clicked on to bring up the Bad right-click menu?

What is so wrong with doing a system restore?

Are you an experienced user?

If you try what I tell you, I take no responsibility whatsoever for anything that happens to your PC.

Back