Windows 7 Restore registry from system restore's comand prompt

kungal

So I cleaned my registry using RegSeaker and now my computer BSODs at the 'starting windows' screen, even if I try to start in safe mode. I created a backup of my old registry before cleaning and I can access it using the command prompt that you can access in the system restore options. However, when I try to update the registry with it I get an error message saying 'cannot import [backup file path]: Error accessing the registry'. Any help would be greatly appreciated

You might F8 Last Known Good Configuration, or failing that
A system restore (to a point in time prior to your registry cleaning) from the Windows 7 Recovery Environment after booting from the Installation media.

yeah, I've tried both those things: can't restore at all. I'm thinking I will have to reinstall the OS

Last edited:
I have not tried some of this stuff, but if you are in the command prompt, did you go to the C: drive before you issued a command? This site talks about using a command line to restore the registry, but I am not sure if they are talking about your situation. Tell me exactly what command prompt you are trying to import the registry in and I will do some testing. If you can't get into Safe Mode, is suppose it also means you cannot get into Safe Mode with Command Prompt?

I do know you can edit a registry hive from the WinRE command using the Regedit Load Hive option. If you want to get into that, I will try to find the information if you like. I think the problem is the registry used in the WinRE is a virtual registry and does not effect the actual registry files.

Only the HKLM and HKU hives can be done this way, so if your problem is not there, it will not help.

Does the Cleaner have something you could boot to or use from a command prompt to restore that file? Can you open the log the Cleaner left to see what it might have removed?

I have not tried some of this stuff, but if you are in the command prompt, did you go to the C: drive before you issued a command? This site talks about using a command line to restore the registry, but I am not sure if they are talking about your situation. Tell me exactly what command prompt you are trying to import the registry in and I will do some testing. If you can't get into Safe Mode, is suppose it also means you cannot get into Safe Mode with Command Prompt?

I do know you can edit a registry hive from the WinRE command using the Regedit Load Hive option. If you want to get into that, I will try to find the information if you like. I think the problem is the registry used in the WinRE is a virtual registry and does not effect the actual registry files.

Only the HKLM and HKU hives can be done this way, so if your problem is not there, it will not help.

Does the Cleaner have something you could boot to or use from a command prompt to restore that file? Can you open the log the Cleaner left to see what it might have removed?

After the system tries to restore itself, I click on advanced options and a screen like this comes up
Untitled.png
And this is the command prompt I am using. It allows me to access all my files and to run regedit. However, when I try to import my backup registry file to regedit, I get the error I mentioned.

I've read a few things about editing registry hives but I don't know what I need to change as I don't know what's causing the problem. What I want to do is import the backup.reg file.

I'll keep looking to see if the cleaner left any logs. Haven't found any yet.

I have been unable to restore the entire registry from a command prompt. It tries, but then the message about some keys being in use, which means it is working on the virtual registry and not the real one. We can edit the registry, so if you find out what the Cleaner did we might be able to fix it.

I have been looking for a third party software that might restore your registry, but have not found one for sure. Paragon seems to have something, but it appears only the paid version has the registry editor if it would even do the job.

One of the Microsoft sites refers to a situation where after running a Startup Repair you might be able to get into safe mode. Just so you know, depending on what might be wrong and if it can be fixed, Startup Repair might need to run 3 or 4 times. If you could get into Safe Mode, maybe you could run Scanreg.exe to see if it would repair anything.

I am downloading the Cleaner program now to see what it does. Good thing I have a test system.....

Well, I can certainly see why you would not want to try to fix your registry entries one at a time!!!!:shocked:

Thanks,

I haven't found a log but even if I did I wouldn't know what to look for. I might have to reinstall the OS, which isn't a huge deal since I will sill be able to access all my files from the current install, but it'll take ages to do.

Back