Windows 10 Restoring media back to windows 7 from windows 10

Greg0001

I recently had to restore a windows 7 computer. When I restored my media files, they were already formatted to windows 10. Now the windows 7 computer won't read any of the playlists. As much as I've tried, I can't find a way to get the playlists to work again in the older format. Any ideas how to fix this?

What kind of media files? Music files, photos, videos, movie files etc.? When you say restore W7, are you implying that you had W10 installed on your computer and then restored to W7?

In most cases, unless you are talking about iTunes music library files; W10 does handle music files differently as WMP (Windows Media Player) files were changed in W10 with Groove Music (built-in to W10) or another W10 media player.

It would help if you could be more specific with your question. Also, it's Customary on this forum and most other Tech Forums to at least provide us with the Make/Model of your computer? Desktop or laptop? OEM (Dell, HP, Acer, Toshiba) computer? Self-built computer with parts you purchased and assembled yourself, or a Custom-built computer which you paid someone to build for you from specs and parts list you chose.
If you have either a Self-built or Custom-built computer; please provide FULL hardware specs: Make/Model of Motherboard, Make/Model CPU chip, Make/Model GPU chip/card, RAM stick Make/Model/Type; PSU Make/Model/Wattage. We can assist you better if you are willing to provide us with this information.

If you don't have specs on your computer, you may wish to download the free SPECCY diagnostic program from piriform.com run the program and upload the resulting output text file (.txt) back here to this thread. You may not be able to upload for a few days since this is your 1st post; so you may have to comment on a few other people's questions--if you can, and then once you have a few posts under your belt you'll be able to upload your computer specs to us.

Thanks for the additional information in advance,
Best of luck :eagerness:
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>> :)

The computer I restored was a Toshiba notebook. It was on windows 10 but couldn't do the updates and Microsoft told me that computer shouldn't be on windows 10. I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows 7. Everything seems to be fine except the music player. The mp3's play just fine but the playlists won't work. They keep saying they can't find the music files. This computer is old and slow and I use it mostly for playing music. Is there any way to restore the playlists without having to retype all of them in?

If all the playlists were converted to Groove then I think you're SOL. There's no export feature in Groove and doubt there is a tool to covert them back.

Back